Thank you for your interest in non-degree/non-matriculated study at Binghamton University. We look forward to receiving your application.
Use these application instructions if you have a bachelor's degree and wish to take classes without enrolling in a graduate degree-granting program. You must apply for non-degree/non-matriculated student status to take classes.
Note: If you are an international student who holds, or hopes to obtain, an F-1 or J-1 visa, you are not eligible for non-degree/non-matriculated student status.
Submit the online application for non-degree/non-matriculated study and your transcript(s) AFTER reviewing the schedule of classes.
- You will need a valid e-mail address to create an online application.
- Upload your transcript(s) to the online application.
- Scan and upload the files with care, making sure they are clear, legible and complete. The graduate admissions committee will receive the files you scan and upload.
- Preferred file format is PDF. Other accepted file formats include .doc, .docx, .rtf, .jpg and .tif.
- Please do not mail hard (paper) copies of any application materials unless specifically requested by the Graduate School.
- Pay the $50 (USD) non-refundable non-degree/non-matriculated study application fee.
- You can use a Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express credit card. Your credit card bill serves as your receipt.
- We are able to grant application fee waivers only to CSTEP, EOP, HEOP, LSAMP Program, Project 1000, SEEK Program or TRIO Program (McNair Scholars Program, Student Support Services, Upward Bound, etc.) students and GEM Fellowship applicants. If you are eligible, complete the Application Fee Waiver form. If you are a CSTEP, EOP, HEOP, LSAMP Program, Project 1000, SEEK Program or TRIO Program student, you must submit a certified form or letter from your program official attesting to your participation. If you are a GEM Fellowship applicant, you must submit a copy of your GEM interface homepage, indicating that your overall application status is complete.
- We are able to grant application fee waivers to veterans of the United States Armed Forces. If you are eligible, complete the Application Fee Waiver - U.S. Armed Forces Veteran form. Upload the completed form and a copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form 214) to your application. Approval of the application fee waiver request takes 2 to 3 business days. Please wait for an e-mail confirmation that your request has been approved before submitting your application. A refund will not be issued if you choose to pay the application fee prior to the approval of your application fee waiver request. If you have any questions about this process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submit the online application and your transcript(s).
Review these reminders before you apply:
- We recommend you begin the application process at least 1 month prior to the start of the semester in which you would like to begin class(es).
- We encourage you to submit the online application and your transcript(s) at least 1 week prior to the start of the semester in which you would like to begin class(es).
- The online application closes on the app/drop deadline, which is the Friday of the second week of classes in the fall and spring semesters. Applications submitted after this deadline will not be processed.
- If you are admitted to non-degree/non-matriculated study, you will be able to register for most courses. However, some departments limit registration to certain, specified classes. You are responsible for verifying that the courses you would like to take are available for the semester in which you would like to take them. Contact the graduate director in your academic department of interest with your specific course/registration questions.
- If you are a former Binghamton University student (undergraduate, graduate or non-degree/non-matriculated) and have changed your name, file an official name change form with the Office of Financial Aid and Student Records before submitting an application.
Receive your admission decision.
Once an admission decision has been made, you will receive an e-mail from the Graduate School. (Please add "email@example.com" to your e-mail address book or contact list. Don't forget to check your spam folder!) If you have been accepted, you will also receive an admission letter.
If accepted, complete the requirements for new non-degree/non-matriculated students.
Visit the New Non-Degree/Non-Matriculated Student webpage for more information on these requirements. You will be able to register for class(es) through BU Brain immediately prior to the start of the semester. You will be billed after you have registered for class(es).