Skip header content and main navigation Binghamton University, State University of New York - Grad School

Ask a Question

Our Best Response:

How do I establish residency?

Establishing Residency

The Office of Student Accounts is responsible for assisting students who are establishing residency.

If you choose to establish New York residency, you will need to obtain the following items before classes start:

  • New York State Lease/Land Deed
  • New York State Driver's License
  • New York State Car Registration
  • New York State Voter's Registration

If you are a tuition scholarship and/or assistantship recipient, you will be funded according to your residency status during the first year (in- or out-of-state). By the third semester, however, it is expected that you have established residency, and you will only be funded at the in-state rate. If you have not established residency, you will be funded at the in-state rate but billed at the out-of-state rate. You will be expected to pay the difference.

For complete information regarding residency for tuition purposes, how to apply, and how to appeal a residency decision, view the Residency section of the Student Accounts website.

Suggested Questions:

  1. How do I apply as a transfer student?
  2. How much are living expenses?
  3. How do residency and immigration status affect school fees?
  4. How do I create a Binghamton University Computer Account?
  5. Who do I make checks out to?
  6. Do you have interdisciplinary programs?
  7. What is the difference between in-state and out-of-state residency?
  8. Can I see a copy of the Residency Law?
  9. Do you have off-campus housing?
  10. What types of student housing are available?

Not finding what you're looking for? Contact us for assistance.

Connect with Binghamton:
Twitter icon links to Binghamton University's Twitter page YouTube icon links to Binghamton University's YouTube page Facebook icon links to Binghamton University's Facebook page Instagram

Last Updated: 11/4/11