How to Apply: Non-Degree Study
Non-Matriculated Graduate Study
Back to Continuing Education
Students who have earned their bachelor's degree and wish to take courses without entering a degree program must apply to the Graduate School for non-degree study.
International students (F-1 or J-1 Visa holders or applicants) are not eligible for non-matriculated student status.
Submit an online application for non-degree graduate study AFTER you review the schedule of classes.
- Upload your transcript (s)
- Scanned copies of your official transcript are preferred. Web printouts of transcripts are not acceptable unless you are a current Binghamton University student.
- Your transcript must indicate what degree you received and when it was conferred. If you are in the process of completing a degree, you should submit an up-to-date transcript with your application.
- Please cross out or cover your Social Security Number (SSN) prior to scanning your transcript. Your SSN should not appear on your scanned transcript.
- Pay your $50 (U.S.), non-refundable application fee when you submit your online application
- You can use a Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express credit card; your credit card billing serves as a receipt.
- We only grant fee waivers to McNair, EOP, HEOP, SEEK, Project 1000 or LSAMP undergraduate students. If eligible, complete the Application Fee Waiver form and submit a certified form or official letter from your current undergraduate institution verifying this status.
Important reminders before you apply:
- We recommend you begin the application process at least one month prior to the start of classes.
- Admitted non-degree students may register for most graduate classes; however, some programs limit admission to certain specified classes. It is your responsibility to verify that courses are available for the semester in which you apply.
Receive your application decision.
We will notify you via e-mail and mail shortly after making an admission decision.
If accepted, complete requirements for new students.
If accepted, you will be able to register for class(es) via BU Brain immediately prior to the start of the semester. You will be billed after having registered for class. Visit the New Non-Degree (Non-Matriculated) Graduate Students page for information on fulfilling new student requirements.
Note: If you are granted admission to the University, you will be required to submit official copies of your final transcripts to the Graduate School.