Associate Professor, Graduate School of Education
Coordinator, Literacy Program
- PhD, English Education, State University of New York at Buffalo, USA
- MSE, English Education, State University of New York at Potsdam, USA
- BA, English Education, Hongik University, Seoul, Korea
Courses regularly taught
- Literacy Theory and Practice
- Literacy and the Diverse Learner
- Integrated Language Arts
- Comprehension and Learning Processes and Strategies
Current Research Interests
- Critical Literacy
- Teacher Education for English Language Learners
- Cultural and Social Identities
- Multicultural Literature and Multicultural Education
- Yoon, B. (2013). Sociocultural perspectives: Effective instruction for English language learners in the mainstream classroom. Texas English Language Teaching, 2(1), 58-69.
- Yoon, B. & Haag, C. (2012). The epistemological and institutional challenges of teacher collaboration for English language learners' literacy learning. In M. T. Cowart and G. Anderson (Eds.), English language learners in 21st century classrooms: Challenges & expectations (pp. 244–257). Denton, TX: Canh Nam Publishers.
- Yoon, B. & Falk-Ross, F. (Eds.). (2012). A special theme issue on Multicultural Education, Middle Grade Research Journal. 7(2).
- Yoon, B., & H. K. Kim (Eds.) (2012). Teachers' Roles in Second Language Learning:Classroom Applications of Sociocultural Theory. Charlotte: North Carolina, Information Age Publishing.
- Yoon, B. (2012). Junsuk and Junhyuck: Adolescent Immigrants' Educational Journey to Success and Identity Negotiation. American Educational Research Journal, 49(5), 971-1002.
- Yoon, B. (2012). The Teacher's Cultural Inclusivity and English Language Learners' Participation in Language and Literacy Activities. In B. Yoon and H. K. Kim (Eds.), Teachers' Roles in Second Language Learning: Classroom Applications of Sociocultural Theory (pp. 155-170). Charlotte: North Carolina, Information Age Publishing.
- Yoon, B. & Falk-Ross, F. (2012). Guest editor's notes: Multicultural education in middle grade settings. Middle Grade Research Journal, 7(2), xi-xii.
- Yoon, B. & Kim, H. K. (2012). Introduction: Sociocultural Perspectives of Teachers' Roles for Second Language Learners. In B. Yoon and H. K. Kim (Eds.), Teachers' Roles in Second Language Learning: Classroom Applications of Sociocultural Theory (pp. xiii-xxix). Charlotte: North Carolina, Information Age Publishing.
- Yoon, B. (2010). Meeting the cultural and social needs of English language learners: A middle school ESL teacher's practice. Teacher Education and Practice, 23(1), 31-43.
- Yoon, B., Simpson, A., & Haag, C. (2010). Assimilation ideology: Critically examining underlying messages in multicultural literature. Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy, 54(2),109-118.
- Yoon, B. (2010). The lived experiences of middle school English language learners: Shifting identities between the classrooms. In K. F. Malu (Ed), Voices from the Middle: Narratives For, By and About the Middle Level Community (pp. 19-36), Information Age Publishing, Charlotte: North Carolina.
- Yoon, B. & Haag, C. (2010). Visible or invisible? Korean high school students’ current experiences in the United States. Current Issues in Education, 13(2). [Available at http://cie.asu.edu/ojs/index.php/cieatasu/article/view/573].
- Yoon, B. (2009). Language, identity, and power: The needs of the newcomer Korean English language learner. In P. Dam, & M. T. Cowart (Eds.), Understanding the English Language Learner (pp. 71-90). Canh Nam Publishers, Denton: Texas.
- Yoon, B. (2009). Education fever and exam hell: The current educational systems and issues in South Korea. In S.B. Mertens, V.A. Anfara, & K. Roney (Eds.), Handbook of research in middle level education: An international look at educating young adolescents (pp. 115-134). Information Age Publishing, Charlotte: North Carolina.
- Yoon, B. (2009). English language learners in classrooms: Valued members or uninvited Guests. In C. Rodriguez-Eagle (Eds.), Achieving literacy success for English language learners: Insights, assessment, and instruction (pp.13-24). Reading Recovery Council of North America, Columbus: Ohio.
- Yoon, B. (2008). Uninvited guests: The influence of teachers' roles and pedagogies on the positioning of English language learners in regular classrooms. American Educational Research Journal, 45(2), 495-522.
- Yoon, B. (2007). Offering or limiting opportunities:Teachers’ roles and approaches to English language learners’ participation in literacy activities. The Reading Teacher, 61(3), 216 -225.
- Yoon, B. (2007). Classroom teachers’ understanding of the needs of English-language learners and the influence on the students’ identities. The New Educator, 3(3), 221 – 240.