Bartle Professor, Graduate School of Education
Coordinator, Adolescent Education Program
- EdD, Binghamton University
- MAT, Social studies education, Binghamton University
- BA, American history, Binghamton Universit y
Courses regularly taught
- SEC 593B. Philosophical and Theoretical Foundations in the Pedagogy of Social Studies
- SEC 594B. Curriculum and Teaching in Social Studies
Current Research Interests
- Democratic education in practice
- Teacher recertification
- Citizenship education
- History of education
Carpenter, J. J. (2013). Democratic Learning Communities: Citizenship Education in Practice. Social Science Docket, 13(1), 2-4.
- Carpenter, J. J. & Archer, D. J. (2012). Teaching all students to be leaders: The forgotten civic skill. Ohio Social Studies Review, 49(2), 3-9.
- Carpenter, J. J. (2007). Making the journey into teaching: A different approach to student teaching at the secondary level. Excelsior: Leadership in Teaching and Learning, 2 (1), 61 .
- Carpenter, J. J. (2006) “The development of a more intelligent citizenship”: John Dewey and the social studies. Education and Culture, 22 (2), 31-42.