Bartle Associate Professor, Graduate School of Education
Coordinator,Childhood Education Program
Office: AB 230
E-mail: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- PhD, Special Education and Educational Administration, Syracuse University
- MA, Counseling, University of Oregon
- BA, English, College of the City of New York
Courses regularly taught
- ELED 502/SPED 502. Child Growth and Development
- SPED 501. Introduction to Special Education
- SPED 522. Collaboration with Families and Staff
- SPED 541. Instructional Approaches for Inclusive Elementary Classrooms
- EDUC 622. Seminar on Qualitative Research
Current Research Interests
- Comparative and cross-cultural education
- Inclusive schools
- Teacher development
- Disability studies
- Kugelmass, J. W. (2004). The Inclusive School: Sustaining Equity and Standards . New York: Teachers College
- Rainforth, B. & Kugelmass, J. W. (eds.) (2003). Curriculum and Instruction for All Learners: Blending Systematic and Constructivist Approaches in Inclusive Elementary Schools. Baltimore, MD: Paul Brookes Publishing.
- Kugelmass, J. W. & Ritchie, D. (eds.) (2003). Advocating for Children and Families in an Emerging Democracy: The Post Soviet Experience in Lithuania. Greenwich, CN: Information Age Publishing.
- Kugelmass, J. W. (1986). Behavior, Bias & Handicaps: Labeling the Emotionally Disturbed Child. New Brunswick, NJ: Transaction Press.
Book Chapters and Refereed Articles
- Kugelmass, J.W. (2006). Constructivist views of learning: Implications for inclusive education. In Florian, L. (ed.) Handbook of Special Education . Sage.
- Kugelmass, J.W. (2006). Sustaining cultures of inclusion: The limits of cultural analyses . The European Journal of Psychology of Education. Vol 21.
- Kugelmass, J.W. & Ainscow, M. (2004). Leadership for inclusion: A comparison of international practices . Journal of Research in Special Educational Needs. Vol. 4.
- Kugelmass, J. W. (2001). Inclusive education and the promotion of democratic reform in Eastern Europe. April/May. Teaching Exceptional Children. Vol. 33.
- Kugelmass, J. W. (2000). Subjective experience and the preparation of activist teachers: Confronting the mean old snapping turtle and the great big bear. Teaching and Education. Vol 16.
- Kugelmass, J. W. & Ross-Bernstein, J. (2000). Explicit and implicit dimensions of adult-child interactions in a quality childcare center. Journal of Early Childhood Education. Vol. 28.
Selected Grants and Awards
- Fulbright Fellowships: India, 2007; Portugal, 1994; Indonesia & Singapore, 1988
- Kresge Foundation Early Childhood Program Development & Research Grant. 2004 – 2007.
- Gilton/Novak Research Award. Cornell University, 2002-2003.
- International Research Associate, NCSL. University of Manchester, U.K. 2002.
- Cornell Early Childhood Program Research Grant, 1995 - 1996.
- Appalachian Regional Commission. Foxfire Program Operations Grant. 1992 - 1993.
- World Rehabilitation Fund, IEEIR Research Grant, Indonesia. 1989.