Information for Current Students

Helpful Information A to Z

What does a current student need to know about the Graduate School of Education – besides everything? This page provides information to help you be a successful student, from services that GSE provides to University policies. If you don't find it on this page, please scan the rest of GSE's website, talk with your adviser, or talk with the staff in AB-119 or the Dean's office (AB-133).

| Academic Honesty | Academic Standards |
 Advising | Computer Pod |

DASA Training| Education Organizations | Grade Reports |
Grievance Procedures |Housing
Orientation | Professional Dispositions | Registration |
| Research Involving Human Subjects | University Calendar


Academic Honesty

All students are expected to have academic integrity, which means that all classroom, fieldwork, research, and written work for which you claim credit is in fact your own work. Clarify when work is to be completed independently (is collaboration allowed?) and when reports on teaching and assessment are to include actual results (are simulations acceptable?)  The University prohibits submitting the same work for two different courses. Make sure you are familiar with University policy on academic integrity in the Graduate School Manual as well as GSE Academic Honesty Procedures (see GSE Bylaws, Appendix A).

Academic Standards

Binghamton University has established the following standards for graduate students:

  • A cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0 is required for a graduate degree. 
  • A minimum grade-point average of 3.0 is required in all courses counted toward a graduate degree.
  • To continue in a graduate program, students must be "making satisfactory progress toward the degree" which includes --
    • maintaining a GPA of at least 3.0 (programs may set higher requirements)
    • passing required exams
    • meeting program deadlines
  • If a graduate student's GPA falls below 3.0, the student will be on academic probation and may continue only with written approval of the program.
  • If a graduate student's GPA falls below 2.6, the student is in academic jeopardy and may continue only with written approval of the program. A student may be in jeopardy for no more than one semester.

If you have concerns about whether you are meeting these standards, see your adviser as soon as possible. To read the full policy, see Determination of Academic Standing.



The Adviser's Role | The Student's Role | Five Tips for Meeting with an Adviser

New, matriculated students are assigned a faculty adviser, who will work with you to plan a program of study and answer questions about graduate school and careers. The advising process is a team effort between you and your adviser, and developing an effective partnership with your faculty adviser key factor in your success. You are encouraged to get to know the advising resources available to you.

Students who are not matriculated and have an interest in applying to one of our programs should review our website, especially the information about the program that interests you. A program coordinator is listed on the page describing each program, with contact information if you have questions or want to arrange a meeting. Or contact Tami Mann for pre-advising, and to be sure you have met prerequisites for the program of interest.

The Adviser's Role

  • Provide current and accurate information about the University's and the School's academic and personal requirements
  • Assist you in developing your course of study, including the selection of major and elective requirements
  • Provide you with information on campus resources and offer referrals
  • Be available either in person or by phone or e-mail to allow convenient access to advisement
  • Provide information on opportunities that help enhance your academic program.

The Student's Role

  • Be familiar with the University's academic information, as explained in the Bulletin, Schedule of Classes and Student Handbook
  • Maintain a file and keep all copies of official correspondence from the University and School, grade reports, copies of petitions, academic review letters, etc. You should keep the Bulletin from your initial semester of enrollment.
  • Utilize the resources provided by the Career Development Center, including the credential file service, career counseling, workshops, and Teacher Recruitment Days (usually hosted at SUNY Cortland).
  • Develop academic and career goals
  • Stay current on all policies and regulations at the University, including prerequisite and core requirements information.
  • Learn the degree requirements for your major.
  • Take responsibility for your decisions, your progress and your success.
  • Stay in contact with your adviser. Meet regularly with your adviser to discuss any questions about or changes to your program.
  • Read and respond to to all correspondence sent to you by GSE or the University.

Five Tips for Meeting with an Adviser

  • Write down your questions.
  • If you are meeting to discuss registration, prepare in advance a list of class choices, including alternate choices.
  • Make an appointment to see your academic adviser well in advance. If a deadline is approaching, do not wait until the last minute. Plan in advance!
  • Take information, documentation and an outline of your plans to your appointment.
  • Know the academic calendar. It includes information on registration, add and drop deadlines, vacations, breaks and exam schedules. You are responsible for keeping these deadlines.


Computer Pod (AB-122)

In addition to the public computer pods on campus, GSE students have their own pod in Academic B room 122. You will need to swipe your current university ID card to enter. The GSE pod has several computers and is linked to the campus PHAROS system. Students can print to laser printers in ITS maintained public computing areas (PODS) using the Pharos laser printing system. For more information, visit this link: During the academic year, the nearest public computing area (POD) with public printers is located on the ground floor of the Academic A building. Note: Not all public PODS areas are available during the summer and winter sessions.

This pod is for students in GSE degree-seeking programs only. Non-matriculated students or students in the undergraduate education minor will not have swipe card access to this pod. If your university ID card does not gain you access to this pod, please see Jeannette Lowell, Secretary for GSE Student Information and GSE Programs. She is located in AB-119.

Please report problems with equipment to Steve Safranek in AB-120 or to one the PEGO officers. Please review Binghamton University's Policies on computer and network usage and other information that will be helpful to students from Information Technology Services.

GSE cannot accommodate student copying. When students need to make copies for a course, it is the students' responsibility to do so at their own expense. Copy machines are available throughout the library for personal copying. The University Copy Center (LNG-22) is also available.

 DASA Training

The New York State Education Department (NYSED) Dignity for All Students Act requires that all students applying for certification after December 31, 2013, complete 6 hours of training regarding the social patterns of harassment, bullying, and discrimination. Binghamton's DASA training will consist of 6 hours face-to face instruction.

Under DASA, this training is needed so that professionals meet the Commissioner's Regulations for anyone applying for an administrative or supervisory service, classroom teaching service or school service certificate or license on or after January 1, 2014. Successful completion of this course will meet the certification requirements in §14(5) of Chapter 102 of the Laws of 2012. More information about the Dignity for All Students Legislation may be found at:

Binghamton University is an approved provider for this training.  See DASA Training for more information.


Education Organizations

GSE students are encouraged to get involved in two important organizations --
Professional Education Graduate Organization (PEGO), your BU graduate student organization  (supported by your activity fees), and
Kappa Delta Pi, International Honor Society in Education, in which you may stay involved throughout your career in Education.

Grade Reports

Students can retrieve their grades from the BU-Brain, usually within 24 hours of the instructor entering grades. (Grade reports are not mailed.)

Students also use BU BRAIN Self Service to register for classes, view unofficial academic transcripts, request official transcripts, run DARS reports, print class schedules, view student accounts, view holds, view and update personal information, view and accept financial aid awards, and more.

Grievance Procedures

The Graduate School of Education and the University have formal policies and procedures for resolving grievances. GSE strongly supports a range of efforts at mediating grievances before filing a formal complaint. For a student with a grievance, the first step is to talk to the faculty or staff member who is the subject of the grievance. If that is unsuccessful, a student may enlist the faculty adviser to mediate the situation.

GSE has a standing Grievance Committee with membership from among the faculty, administrative, and graduate student constituencies. It is this committee that acts as a hearing board for student-initiated grievances involving GSE faculty, administrators or students. This committee meets on a grievance or complaint only after informal efforts have been tried to resolve the grievance.

Steps for students to resolve grievances are outlined in GSE's Bylaws (see Appendix B Grievance Procedures). Procedures for appealing a decision are in the Graduate School Manual.


For information regarding on and off campus housing options see:



A mandatory orientation for all new students is held each semester. Students may choose between sessions scheduled during either the week before classes or the first week of classes. This two-hour session will be your opportunity to learn about the GSE, New York State teacher certification, requirements of your program, and expectations for your fieldwork and student teaching.

Professional Dispositions

In GSE's teacher education programs, the faculty regularly review whether students are demonstrating the “professional dispositions” required for success as graduate students and teachers. During one of your first meetings with your adviser, you will complete a Dispositions Self-Assessment (.doc,54kb) related to your academic performance, oral and written communication, and your personal character/judgment. Each semester, your program's faculty will check with instructors and cooperating teachers to make sure all students are demonstrating those professional dispositions.

If concerns are identified, the student's faculty adviser, course instructor(s), and/or cooperating teacher will meet to clarify concerns. Appropriate representatives will meet with the student to discuss concerns and expectations. Under some circumstances, a faculty member may help the student clarify what action is needed to rectify the situation or refer the student to support services (e.g., Services for Students with Disabilities). Whether or not specific supports are offered, however, it is the student's responsibility to take whatever action is necessary to resolve the dispositions concerns.



For courses offered by the Graduate School of Education, Fall and Spring semester schedules usually become available early in the previous semester (February and October, respectively). The Winter Session schedule usually is available in September; the Summer Session schedule in January. Schedules are posted on our website (see Our Courses), and paper copies are available in AB-230.

Matriculated Students:
For the Fall and Spring semesters
, students currently matriculated in the Graduate School of Education will register on the BU Brain each semester. Registration typically opens up, for only about one month, in March and October for the following semester. Please confirm your plan of study and register for courses promptly - both to avoid being closed out of courses you need and to allow your program to determine openings and resource needs.

If you have just matriculated into a degree program with the Graduate School of Education (brand new to the University), you cannot be registered for classes until several mandatory forms are submitted to various campus offices. Please stop by Academic Building B room 230, or call (607) 777-2727, for information about registration.

Summer and Winter Sessions follow different procedures for registration, described at Continuing Education & Outreach. Please review procedures carefully.  For the Winter Session, registration typically starts in November. For the Summer Session, registration typically starts in March. Courses with low enrollments will be canceled, so please register early. Matriculated students and Non-Matriculated/Non-Degree students all have the same priority and follow the same procedures, once required forms have been submitted.

Non-Matriculated/Non-Degree/Continuing Education Students:
For students who are not matriculated in the Graduate School of Education (Non-Degree students), registration for Fall and Spring semesters starts the Tuesday BEFORE classes begin. Registration is by e-mail beginning at 7 a.m. (not before) to Jeannette Lowell. Your e-mail must include your complete name, last four digits of your social security number, and your choice of courses (or degree program choice). List several courses in order of preference in case some courses are closed, and note clearly how many courses you wish to register for. Be sure to apply to the University for Non-Degree Student status well BEFORE time to register for courses. Also see Summer and Winter Sessions, above.

Questions about registering for courses in the Graduate School of Education?
Please call (607) 777-2727.


Research Involving Human Subjects

All research involving human subjects, whether conducted by faculty or by students, whether for a course requirement, thesis, or dissertation, must be approved by Binghamton University's Human Subjects Research Review Committee. The Committee meets monthly during the academic year and reviews protocols that involve research presenting some risk or threat to human subjects.

An expedited review process provides a quick review for research projects that do not involve significant risk to subjects. Prior to any review, however, ALL investigators and their faculty supervisors must have a current certificate of completion for initial/ongoing training regarding protection of human subjects. To access the online course and quiz, see Human Participants Training and Education Requirement.

Some federal agencies require assurance of approval of the research protocol by the institution's human subjects review board before the proposal will be considered for funding. Binghamton's  Division of Research has established policies and procedures for Human Subjects Review at Binghamton University, conforming to the requirements of such agencies as NIH, NSF, NIMH and the Department of Education.

Questions regarding the review of protocols may be directed to the chair of the Human Subjects Research Review Committee. For more information see Human Subjects Research.

University Calendar

The University's Academic Calendar includes a schedule of classes, recesses, and academic deadlines (add, drop, withdraw. Calendars for future semesters may be changed.
Note: Your Practicum (Student Teaching) schedule will follow the calendar for the school where you are placed, which usually is not the same as the University calendar.


Last Updated: 12/7/15