The GSE EdD Program
The GSE EdD program enrolls students who will benefit from rigorous doctoral studies in educational theory and practice. At a minimum, applicants are expected to have at least three years of experience in a school or related setting and a master's degree in education or related field.
Students are admitted to the program once per year. Competitive funding packages including tuition, annual stipend and comprehensive health insurance are available for highly qualified candidates who intend to study full time. Applications received by February 1 will be given full consideration for admission and funding. Applications received after this date will be given equal consideration, but support can only be given to the extent funds are available.
All applicants are strongly encouraged to reach out to two to three GSE faculty members (note all tenure-line faculty in the GSE can serve as advisors) who have similar research interests and who could serve as potential advisors prior to submitting an application.
Applicants to the EdD Program are requested to submit the following materials:
- The Graduate School Online Application and Application Fee
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate-level coursework
- Personal statement – a well-substantiated written statement of approximately four to five pages, double-spaced, that describes: (a) the applicant's training and professional background; (b) research interests including specific fields of inquiry; (c) two or three faculty members in the Graduate School of Education who could be potential advisors and why; (d) career goals related to pursing a doctoral degree
- Writing sample - a critical analysis (four to five pages), with reference citations, of an educational issue of national importance
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- Letters of recommendation – At least two letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with the applicant's ability to assume the responsibilities of rigorous academic study at the doctoral level
- Official Graduate Record Examination scores (General Test only)
- Interview – In some cases, applicants will be asked to come to campus for an interview with the program coordinators. All applicants can request such an interview.
Completed applications for admission to the doctoral program must follow the guidelines outlined by The Graduate School . Additional application materials required for international students can be found on the Graduate School webpage . Applicants are typically notified in writing of final admissions decisions in March.