Financial Assistance

GSE Students have access to financial assistance from many sources, described below.  First, here is an overview of some campus offices that may help you, and some information they may need from you.

Binghamton's Graduate School provides information about the cost of graduate study, as well as general information about financial aid for graduate students. Binghamton's Office of Financial Aid Services provides details about financial aid, including loans, work-study opportunities, other employment opportunities, and a link to the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Regardless of income eligibility, many programs require FAFSA forms filed with the Federal Student Aid office. When funding requires eligibility for financial aid, usually FAFSA should be submitted before applying for the grant. Please see the descriptions of specific awards for details.

The deadline to file FAFSA is February 1 for students seeking admission for Fall. For students submitting an application later than February 1st it is important that a FAFSA form be submitted as soon as possible to be considered for funding opportunities.

Eligibility for Federal Student Aid (for FAFSA)

  • U.S. citizen
  • U.S. national (includes natives of American Samoa or Swain's Island)
  • U.S. permanent resident who has an I-151, I-551 or I-551C (Alien Registration Receipt Card)
  • Person with Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from INS showing
    • Refugee
    • Asylum Granted
    • Indefinite Parole and/or Humanitarian Parole OR
    • Cuban-Haitian Entrant, Status Pending

Not eligible for Federal Student Aid is anyone in the U.S. on:

  • F1 or F2 student visa
  • J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa
  • G series visa


Types of Financial Aid

Financial aid is available from a several sources, with varied eligibility and requirements. Information about assistance available to GSE students is provided below.

Loans are federally-funded or private, and need to be repaid. Grants are federal or state funded programs, and do not need to be repaid, although some do require a work commitment.  Please contact Binghamton's  Office of Financial Aid Services about loans and grants. Also see TEACH grants, which are available to some students in GSE programs. TEACH grants do require a commitment to full-time teaching in a high need area for four years.

Federal Work Study involves work on campus, 10-20 hours/week for an hourly wage, for U.S. citizens and permanent residents with financial need (determined by FAFSA). Apply for Graduate Work Study through the Graduate School.

Fellowships are awards, and generally include a tuition scholarship and stipend. Scholarships also are awards, usually modest in amount, to help with tuition or other expenses. See Fellowships & Scholarships for information about eligibility and applications.

Assistantships involve work 10-20 hours/week in exchange for partial or full tuition scholarship and stipend.  See Graduate Assistantships for information about eligibility and applications.

GSE students are eligible for several types of scholarships, fellowships, and assistantships. Requirements vary, so please check each program for deadlines and application procedures. Many require FAFSA, which should be filed by February 1. Unless a program specifies another date, GSE's deadline to apply for funding is March 30.

Questions about GSE scholarships, fellowships, and graduate assistantships?

Masters students contact:

Jeannette Lowell
Graduate School of Education
Binghamton University
PO Box 6000
Binghamton, NY 13902-6000
Phone: 607-777-7329;


Doctoral students e-mail, with "Inquiry Regarding Financial Assistance for Doctoral Students" in the subject line.



Last Updated: 7/28/16