Non-Degree Students

Many of GSE's courses are open to students who are not in one of our degree programs. Please check course descriptions for prerequisites. Our matriculated students have priority for course registration, so registration for non-degree students is the week before classes start.

While taking courses as a non-matriculated student is an excellent way to get to know each other, it does not guarantee admission to a program. Please keep in mind that GSE will transfer, at most, 12 credits, and all graduate work prior to admission is treated as "transfer" - yes, even courses in our programs.

If you are interested in one of GSE's programs, we encourage you to apply for admission to that program. As a matriculated student, you will be assigned an adviser who will make sure you know which courses to take and in what order. That is the only way to guarantee your space in the courses you need.

Applying for Non-Degree Status

In order to register for courses, non-degree students must submit an application and be added to the university's data management systems. This can take several days. For further information and the on-line application, see Non-Degree Master's or Doctoral Study (Non-Matriculated Study).

Last Updated: 3/20/14