Pathways 2 Success (P2S)

While no one enters college with the idea of being unsuccessful, many students experience some form of academic difficulty during their college career. Sometimes you encounter issues which lead to academic difficulties including probation and suspension. Some may simply struggle through a class or two or through a single semester, while others may experience more severe and/or long term difficulty. Whatever your situation, there are many university’s resources that may help you overcome the difficulties you have been experiencing. 

Harpur Advising is committed to helping every student achieve academic success. We are available to assist you in identifying resources, degree planning, and outlining your academic goals and paths to reach them. By facilitating the development of skills, attitudes, discipline, and understanding, we will assist you as you work towards achieving satisfactory progress and ultimately your degree. We can assure you that our office has worked with many students who return from academic probation and go on to perform well academically and graduate from Binghamton University. We look forward to working with you and developing your plan which sets you back on a path to achieving success.

Here is some information that you will need:

What is probation?

To maintain satisfactory academic progress, you are required to earn a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 in all Binghamton University courses taken for credit. If you fail to meet this requirement, you will be placed on probation and expected to raise your cumulative average to a 2.0 level or better within a reasonable period of time. Please note the following points regarding probation:

  • You may not elect to use the Pass/Fail grading option while on probation.
  • Academic probation does not imply dismissal and does not deny registration.
  • For information about financial eligibility while on academic probation, see the Financial Aid Website.

Academic probation acts in part as a warning that you are not making satisfactory academic progress. Probation also serves as an opportunity to take corrective action.  If you are placed on probation, you have fallen below the minimum standard for academic progress (minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA).

While on academic probation, you are expected to take appropriate steps to ensure your future success. This should include consulting with faculty and/or a Harpur Advisor. The corrective action you take may range from changing academic direction, to making lifestyle and study habit changes. 

WHAT IS suspension?

If you have been on probation in any previous semester and do not earn a 2.0 cumulative GPA, you are subject to suspension from the University; however, you will not be suspended if your semester GPA is greater than a 2.0. Suspensions cannot be lifted unless your grades are adjusted to raise your semester GPA above a 2.0 or your cumulative GPA above a 2.0., due to a grading error.

If you are suspended, the Harpur College Dean's Office will send a letter to your permanent home address as well as an e-mail to your Binghamton University account. This letter/e-mail contains the complete suspension policy and any relevant academic deadlines related to grading and GPA adjustments. All changes to your GPA must be processed through the Office of Financial Aid & Student Records by the add/drop deadline of the first semester of your suspension. You must bring any grade changes leading to reinstatement to the attention of the Harpur Academic Advising Office (AB G18) before the deadline indicated in the letter.

Please note that you can be placed on suspension even if the semester immediately preceding is not a probationary semester. If you were on probation previously, and your cumulative GPA drops below a 2.0, you may be suspended.

The probation letter

Dear Student,

On behalf of the Harpur College Academic Standards Committee (HCASC) at Binghamton University, I regret to inform you that you failed to achieve the minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA which is necessary for maintaining good academic standing. Therefore, you have been placed on academic probation.

In an effort to better assist you in returning to good academic standing, Harpur Academic Advising has developed an academic recovery program, Pathways to Success (P2S). The P2S program has been specifically tailored to complement your individual academic and career goals and also meet the ever-changing needs of all students attending Binghamton University.

We understand that being placed on academic probation is not what you anticipated when you came to Binghamton University. Moreover, we believe that based on the strength of your admission application, you have what it takes to be a successful student at Binghamton University. Therefore, you will be receiving another email from Harpur Academic Advising. Your Academic Advisor will work closely with you over the summer and fall to help you develop a personalized pathway to success.

Satisfactory progress towards a degree is determined by achieving a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or better, which is also required for graduation. At the end of each spring and fall semester, the HCASC assesses academic standing, the process used to determine satisfactory progress towards a degree for all enrolled students. Failure to achieve a 2.00 cumulative GPA by the end of a spring or fall semester at Binghamton will result in a “probation” notation being placed on the student's internal transcript.

You may continue at Binghamton University in future semesters as long as you maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or better or a semester GPA of 2.00 or better. Good academic standing and graduation are based on achievement of a minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA. Should your semester and cumulative GPA fall below a 2.00 in a future semester, you will be eligible for suspension from the university for one calendar year; failure to achieve a 2.00 cumulative GPA in future semesters may lead to dismissal from the University.

Under the terms of academic probation, you may not take classes on a Pass/Fail basis unless this is the only way they are offered. This is the only restriction on your registration. However, you should carefully consider your course selections and any other circumstances that may affect your ability to return to academic good standing. The University has support offices that offer tutoring, writing instruction, and personal counseling, and if necessary, you should seek assistance in these areas.

Please feel free to contact Harpur Academic Advising by phone at 607.777.6305 between 9:00am – 3:30pm with any questions and/or concerns you may have while waiting to hear from your advisor.

The suspension letter

Dear Student,

I regret to inform you that you are suspended from Binghamton University for one calendar year.  After having been on academic probation in a previous semester, your cumulative and semester GPAs are below the 2.00 required for good academic standing, as established by the Harpur College Academic Standards Committee. You should contact Harpur Academic Advising to be readmitted to Binghamton University for Fall 2017. Please see information on page 2 regarding the following: your current winter and spring course registration, grades, a note for graduating seniors, taking classes at another college or university, alternative options for your time away and financial aid information.

Please promptly take care of any commitments you may have with Residential Life, Student Accounts, and Financial Aid.  If you have any questions regarding this suspension, please contact the Harpur College Academic Advising Office at (607) 777‑6305.  We wish you well in your endeavors.

Additional Information Regarding suspension


Courses for which you may have advance-registered for the Fall 2016 semester and any Summer Session term II courses will be deleted from your record as a result of this action.  Because this notification is coming after the beginning of Summer Session I, you may remain in any Summer Session I courses in which you might be currently enrolled.  Please note that your standing will not be reviewed after Summer Session.   


Please review your grades on the BU Brain and inform us of any errors as soon as possible, but latest by the add deadline, September 7, 2016.  If you expect to have a grade change, you must talk to a Harpur Academic Advisor between now and the first day of classes.  Please note that any grade of “Incomplete” recorded after May 27, 2016 will not alter your suspension status.  However, other changes, such as processed missing grade (MG’s), will be considered in determining your suspension status. 

Please notify an advisor in the Harpur Academic Advising Office if a change in your GPA results in

    1. a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or better,


    1. a Spring 2016 semester GPA of 2.00 or better.


If your current academic record will permit you to graduate within one semester after returning to Binghamton University, then you may petition to reduce your suspension to one semester and we will allow you to return to Binghamton University in Fall 2016.  You should call the Harpur Academic Advising Office to discuss (607‑777‑6305). 


During the suspension period, some students seek to enroll at a different college or university.  If in Fall 2016 you register at a different college for at least 12 credits and if you earn grades of B or better in each of the approved courses in which you enroll, then you may petition through the Harpur Academic Advising Office to return in Spring 2017.  Note that such an early return requires that the courses that you take elsewhere be approved by the Harpur Academic Advising Office prior to the beginning of the Fall 2016 semester. Contact Harpur Advising for the Suspension Transfer Petition Form. Please be aware of admissions deadlines at other colleges, since these requirements differ from college to college.  Harpur Academic Advising can provide a letter indicating your academic standing at Binghamton University should a college or university require it, but the letter will reflect your suspension.  Students must send transcripts for all coursework taken outside of Binghamton, whether passed or failed. 

Some students choose to seek employment or address personal issues rather than attend college during the suspension period.  This can be a time to strengthen non-academic skills to assist you when you return to Binghamton University.


When you return to Binghamton University after being suspended, eligibility for federal and/or state aid is not a guarantee.  Please contact or visit Financial Aid and Student Records, Admissions Center, Room 112, or email so we can review your eligibility before you arrive back on campus.  For further information about satisfactory academic progress (SAP) standards for financial aid, please review the following webpage:

Information about returning from suspension

After 2 semesters away from the university, you will automatically be eligible to return to Binghamton. Harpur Advising will work with the Office of Student Records to make sure that your academic standing is changed so that you will be eligible to register for classes. Please check your academic standing in advance of pre-registration during the semester before you intend to return to Binghamton. Your academic standing, which can be found on the most recent semester of your Online Academic Transcript, should be listed as Suspension (RTN). When your academic standing has changed, you will be issued a registration time ticket through BU Brain. Please make sure to take care of any holds on your record that may prevent you from registering.

If your academic standing has not been automatically updated, please contact Dr. Larry Greenfield (

International students should contact Greg Nolan ( or Celeste Lee ( to discuss the process of returning and coordinating with ISSS. 

Students can petition to return from suspension after only one semester away from Binghamton if they meet the following requirements:

  • Enroll at an accredited institution and take at least 12 credits of pre-approved liberal arts coursework 
  • Earn B's or better in all coursework

Contact Harpur Advising about full petitioning instructions and completing the necessary forms. 

Tips for getting back on track

Last Updated: 3/2/17