An overload refers to enrolling in more than 18 credits during a fall or spring semester. Harpur College students with less than a 3.3 cumulative GPA must submit a petition to be considered for overload. The petition is available on the Harpur Academic Advising website and is reviewed by the Harpur College Dean's Office. Please note that students may take up to 2 credits of MUSP, THEP or CEO above and beyond 18 credits without petitioning to overload.
Overload petition processing begins on the 5th day of classes for each fall and spring semester. Overload requests are not accepted nor approved during pre-registration or for summer or winter sessions.
Overload petitions are reviewed in the order in which they are received and students are notified of the disposition of their request by email. Petitions are handled promptly, but because of large numbers of requests, some students may not receive a response until late in the add period.
STUDENTS WITH GPA'S 3.3 OR BETTER:
- Students who meet this 3.3 GPA qualification will automatically be eligible to register for up to 22 credits via the BU Brain on the 5th day of classes.
- Students should attend the classes they wish to enroll in until they can register officially online on the BU Brain system through the end of the Add Period.
- Students who wish to register for 23 or 24 credits must petition through the Dean's Office to the Academic Standards Committee. This committee convenes during the fourth week of the semester.
Students with less than a 3.3 who wish to present a rationale for overload approval MUST petition via the Dean's Office using the Overload Petition Form.
THOSE INELIGIBLE FOR AN OVERLOAD:
First time Binghamton students (those without a Binghamton GPA) and students on academic probation may NOT overload. Theses students may take a maximum 18-credit course load, with the possibility of an additional two credits of MUSP, THEP, or CEO.
- Students may not overload during a summer term.
- Students may not overload during a winter term.
- Eligible students who fail to register before the add deadline must petition for a late add.
Registration, Course Add/Drop and Withdrawals,