As part of our advising role, we are often required to help you navigate and understand University regulations which exist outside of the traditional bounds of academic policy. Just as we seek to help guide you in fulfilling requirements and designing a degree plan, we can also direct you to appropriate resources when you have other questions or concerns surrounding campus policy.
Students are expected to understand and comply with the Student Code of Conduct. You were required to review and accept the Student Code of Conduct prior to registering. In addition to reading and reviewing the code, you should be familiar with the contents of the University Student Handbook.
In addition to adhering to Binghamton University's rules of conduct, Harpur College has a formal Academic Honesty Code we expect you to understand and conform to. Please review the Harpur College Academic Honesty Code on the Harpur College main site.
You can expect these services from the Harpur College Academic Advising Office:
- Attention to your individual needs.
- General academic advising on policies and procedures, curricular offerings, and goal-setting and assessment.
- Workshops concerning academic advising questions.
- Information via websites and handbooks and responses to questions via listservs and email.
- Transfer credit processing and evaluation.
- Degree audit programming.
- Individualized Major Program advising.
- Pre-Health advising.
- Pre-Law advising.
- Referrals to related services.
- Completion of letters, forms, applications, etc...
Advisors expect the following from you:
- That although Harpur does not require mandatory advising, you will seek advising when you need it.
- That you will have sustained, collaborative relationships with academic advisors.
- That you come prepared to meetings with relevant and thorough questions, and necessary information.
- That you understand advisor actions are determined by Binghamton University and Harpur College policies and procedures.
- That you plan ahead.
- That you learn to read and to understand your degree audit.
- That you use your major department’s advising assistance.
- That you seek out resources provided by numerous offices and services.
Harpur College, like the individual, must constantly adjust to the world by changing its expectations, opportunities, requirements and procedures to meet the needs of its students. Therefore, in addition to providing accurate information and referrals, academic guidance and a setting in which students may clarify their thoughts and identify alternatives, the Harpur College Academic Advising Office stands ready to interpret change to students and to monitor its importance to them. Office staff offer an environment in which student questions are welcomed, in which nothing affecting a student's academic life is treated as routine, and in which a student can feel comfortable raising concerns about present and future progress.Harpur Academic Advising strives to:
- provide accurate academic and career information;
- help students clarify their academic goals and career choices;
- assist students in understanding University policies and procedures;
- provide informational and planning tools to enable students to accomplish their goals;
- work cooperatively with academic departments, faculty and student services offices to provide comprehensive advising information.