Welcome to Ask Ashley Question of the Month!

Do you have a Harpur Advising question that you think might also be on other student’s minds?  If so, please send your question to Ask Ashley We will choose a unique question each week and provide the answer to you and your fellow students.  Your entries will be kept anonymous.  If you have a personal question, please direct your inquiry to the “Ask An Advisor”.

March month's Question of Month is:

Dear Ashley,

I am currently a second semester senior, but I will still have one course remaining to complete my degree requirements after this semester. The course needs to fulfill the Global Interdependencies (G) general education requirement. I plan on working in my hometown over the summer. Is there any way I can get credit for the G requirement by taking a course at another school?


Hoping to Finish Elsewhere


Dear Hoping,

You certainly can fulfill Binghamton degree requirements at another institution. To verify that a course from another school will count towards your G gen ed requirement, please complete a Transfer Credit Petition from our "Forms & Petitions" page. Within 5 business days, you will receive an e-mail from Harpur Advising indicating if your petition has been approved. If so, you may take the course and then request that an official transcript be sent to us. Upon receipt of the transcript, we will match it with your petition and add the global interdependencies credit to your record.

Ask Ashley reminds you to meet with an academic advisor before the end of the spring semester to do a senior graduation check and talk about your future plans. You can schedule an appointment by calling 607-777-6305 or by stopping in the office in Academic B, G 18.

Ask Ashley

Last Updated: 8/10/15