Harpur College's Transfer Policies

PLEASE NOTE: Academic departments determine which courses are acceptable for use in a major. If you have any questions about whether or not a course will fulfill a major requirement, you are advised to see your major advisor.

  • General Information and Grades
    • Liberal arts courses from accredited institutions with grades of C- or better transfer, but check with your major department to see how they apply toward your major.
    • Courses with a grade of "P" (Pass) transfer, although you may need to take courses for a letter grade to count them toward your major.
    • General Education courses must be taken for a letter grade.
    • Grades do not transfer, do not appear on your Binghamton transcript, and do not affect your Binghamton GPA.
    • Remedial or developmental courses will not transfer.
    • Practical or skill-oriented courses will not transfer. 

  • Credits
    • The amount of semester credit earned at the other college is the amount of credit you are awarded. However, a three-credit course from another school can fulfill a Binghamton four-credit course requirement.
    • Credits from schools on the quarter system are adjusted to equate to semester credit, e.g., three quarter system credits are equal to two semester credits.

  • Writing
    • Students may transfer in a maximum of one 'C' course and two 'W' courses if these courses contain expository writing done in the English language. The following types of courses are acceptable toward fulfillment of the writing requirement:
      • literature courses taught in English, Literature, or Comparative Literature departments (note: creative writing courses do not receive writing credit)
      • English or Rhetoric courses that involve expository writing. (course titles might include College Writing, Composition, Technical Writing and Journalism)
      • Courses taken at your previous school that apply towards that school's designated writing requirement.
      • The first writing class a student transfers will be designated as a 'C' (Composition) course. Subsequent writing courses will be designated 'W' (Writing) courses. A maximum of one 'C' and two 'W' courses can be earned through transfer.

  • Repeat/Duplicate Coursework
    • Credit is not granted for courses previously passed, or for which AP credit was awarded.
    • If you are repeating a course for your major, consult with your department. After a repeated course has been transferred, notify the Harpur Academic Advising Office of successful completion by completing the Harpur College Degree Audit Help Desk.

  • Transfer EMT Coursework:
    • Binghamton University will not award more than 4 credits for a transfer EMT course. Please bring your EMT card to the Harpur Academic Advising Office for verification of the course.

  • Series Coursework:
    • You will not receive credit for a course in a series if you have already received credit for a course higher in the series (ex. if you have already received credit for French II, you will not receive credit for French I; if you received credit for Calculus II, you will not receive credit for Calculus I).

  • No more than 32 non-liberal arts credits apply to a Harpur degree.

  • Residency requirement
    • Students entering Binghamton before fall 2010 must complete at least 30 Harpur College credits to receive a Harpur College degree from Binghamton University.
    • Students entering Binghamton University fall 2010 and later must complete 44 Harpur credits to receive a Harpur College degree from Binghamton University.

  • Courses which meet the criteria above transfer, however, academic departments determine which courses are acceptable for use in a major.

After your class(es) are completed, have your official transcript forwarded to:

Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Binghamton University 
PO Box 6001 
Binghamton, NY 13902-6001

Note: Faxed transcripts are not considered official. 

Last Updated: 8/10/15