STUDENT INSURANCE PLANS
There are three types of health insurance available on campus. Which type you’re eligible to enroll in—or automatically enrolled in, in the case of domestic undergraduate students—depends on your status as a student.
Domestic undergraduate students (full- and part-time) are automatically enrolled in the University’s Student Accident and Sickness Plan unless you waive this plan by submitting an online waiver through BU Brain to Student Accounts. See Health Insurance for details about waiving this coverage.
- This plan offers worldwide coverage with complete choice of doctors, often providing important coverage for high deductibles and out-of-network charges that may be associated with personal plans when a student is away from home.
- This plan is administered by Niagara National Inc. Please direct questions about coverage and any personal factors to: Student Healthcare Solutions, Niagara National Inc., 1-800-444-5530, www.niagaranational.com. The telephone number for United Healthcare is 1-800-767-0700.
- The premium for 2012-13 is $708 per year, billed $295 in the fall and $413 in the spring/summer.
International students (undergraduate and graduate) on F-1 and J-1 visas will enroll in the State University of New York plan administered through the University’s International Student and Scholar Services office.
- The plan uses the Decker Student Health Services Center as the primary care provider, meaning students must go to the Decker Student Health Services Center first, whenever possible, to avoid large deductible charges.
- Questions about enrollment or benefits should be directed to Terry Creeden or Lorraine Medionte of International Student and Scholar Services at 607-777-2510.
- The telephone number for HTH Worldwide is 1-888-350-2002, and their website is www.hthstudents.com.
Funded graduate students (research, graduate and teaching assistants) may be eligible for health insurance through the University or the Research Foundation, depending on the source of funding for the position.
- If you’re funded through the State of New York and represented by the Graduate Student Employee Union, direct your questions about enrollment and benefits to Christine Koban of the Benefits Office at 607-777-4850. The telephone number for NYSHIP is 1-877-769-7447.
- If you’re funded through the Research Foundation, direct your questions about enrollment and benefits to Lynda Emmert of the Sponsored Funds Office at 607-777-4265, or you may visit www.research.binghamton.edu , and click on human resources/payroll and then on employee benefits. Graduate students who aren’t eligible for the insurance mentioned above may enroll in the Student Accident and Sickness Plan described above.
- The telephone number for POMCO is 1-866-317-2098, and the telephone number for MEDCO is 1-800-818-6632.
Dependents of students enrolled in the student plan and graduate students who don’t quality for the graduate student health plan may enroll in the Student Accident and Sickness Plan described above. This plan provides support for medical costs incurred off campus anywhere in the world.