Employees must complete all student requirements to be registered. We suggest that you contact the appropriate admissions office of the school you wish to attend. If you plan on attending Binghamton University you should contact either Undergraduate Admissions or Graduate Studies to begin this process.
New York State residency information will be required at the Student Accounts Office (607) 777-2702. Please review the residency information/requirements on the following website: http://www2.binghamton.edu/student-accounts/residency.html
University Health Service
If you were born on or after January 1, 1957, you will be required to provide proof of immunity to measles, mumps and rubella (MMR). In addition, all students must verify having received information on meningitis and indicate whether or not meningitis vaccine has been received. These requirements are mandated by NYS Public Health Law; students must fulfill them in order to be eligible to register for classes. For more information visit the University Health Service website at: http://health.binghamton.edu/newstudents.htm or call (607) 777-2221.
Student Code of Conduct
Prior to registration you will need to acknowledge the "Student Code of Conduct."
Important Notice Regarding Employee Educational Assistance
The Office of the University Controller has advised that under current Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regulations, employer educational assistance plans are taxable under the conditions listed below, whether payments are made to the employee or to an educational institution on behalf of an employee. Tuition waiver assistance is included in the category of payment to an educational institution on behalf of an employee.
Payments to an employee taking graduate or undergraduate level courses are eligible for exclusion from taxable income, up to $5,250 in a calendar year. Any excess over $5,250 is taxable. The $5,250 exclusion applies even if the education is not job-related.
- Unpaid parking tickets, library fines, etc. will block a registration.
- Course registration in BANNER must be completed before your tuition application can be processed.
- You may participate in both Space Available (if eligible) and Tuition Waiver each semester.
- Tuition Waiver requires both successful completion and supervisor approval and can be used for independent study courses.
- Tuition Waiver is subject to post semester audit by Human Resources.
- Fees (including late and/or cancellation fees) are not covered.
- Books are not covered.
- Winter and one Summer session are eligible.
- Applicant must be on the payroll at the time of course completion to receive tuition award.
Employees interested in applying for tuition assistance can obtain information and/or applications by:
- Reviewing the Programs information below;
- Visiting the Human Resources forms page;
- Visiting the HR Office in Couper Administration Building, room 244;
- Calling 777-6950; or
- Emailing Luanne DiRico in Human Resources
All the usual academic rules regarding enrollments, prerequisites, grading, and degree requirements remain in effect.
The Space Available Program, for employees represented by UUP, covers tuition for one course during each semester taken at a SUNY operated campus.
- Only credit-bearing courses taken at Binghamton University or other state-operated SUNY campuses are covered.
- Non-credit courses, courses taken at community colleges, and course audits are not covered.
- Applications are approved for those courses which are not filled with tuition-paying students.
An applicant must register for the course through the usual student registration procedures. At the same time, employees should submit their Space Available forms to Human Resources. In some departments and programs, it is important to check with the department before classes begin, indicating your interest in taking a class on a space available basis.
- This program can be used for classroom-based instruction only (including distance learning);
- Space Available does not cover: individual instruction (independent study, thesis, research, dissertation, etc.) or continuous enrollment.
Space Available applications should be submitted to Human Resources as soon as possible (we recommend 30 days prior to start of classes) and no later than the end of the first week of classes.
How do I submit a UUP Space Available Application?
- If you are a Binghamton employee taking a course via another SUNY campus, check with the instructing campus--via their website, office of human resources or their registrar's office--to confirm if they require you to use their UUP Space Available Application.
- If you are taking a course at Binghamton University, use the electronic application link on our Forms page. Log in with your Binghamton PODS ID and password at: Space Available Program Application and Instructions
The Tuition Waiver Program is available to University and Research Foundation employees. The percentage of tuition waived depends on the applicant's full-time employment status, the degree to which the course is job related, and the amount of available funding.
- Employees are expected to be on the payroll for the duration of the course taken.
- This program pays for up to two credits per semester for credit courses at a SUNY operated campus, dependent on available funding.
- This program does not include courses taken at community colleges, non-credit courses, or course audits.
- Tuition Waiver is subject to post semester audit by Human Resources.
- Any course for which a waiver is received must be satisfactorily completed; otherwise, the waiver is withdrawn and the individual is responsible for the full tuition cost.
How do I submit a B140W SUNY Tuition Waiver Application?
Your paper application each semester requires your supervisor's signature and should be submitted to Human Resources in advance, and no later than the end of the first week of classes. Waiver applications received after the deadline will be placed on a waiting list and approved only if funding is available. Employees interested in applying for Tuition Waiver can obtain information and/or applications from the Human Resources forms page; from our offices (Couper Administration Building, room 244); or by calling 777-6950 or emailing Luanne DiRico.
YOU AND YOUR SUPERVISOR MUST SIGN ALL B140W APPLICATIONS:
NOTE: The Office of Human Resources is generally notified in the Fall regarding the
status of SUNY Tuition Waiver allocation for Binghamton University. There is no
guarantee funding will be available.
As an example, applications for courses taken in Summer 2015 will be considered part
of tentative 2015 - 2016 funding.
To avoid late fee charges, it is recommended to pay your tuition and fees by their due date. Once Human Resources is notified about possible funding, registrants will be contacted by our office regarding the status of their B140 tuition waiver application.
Employees represented by CSEA may qualify for either the tuition voucher program or tuition reimbursement program benefits, depending upon the educational institution.
You can obtain further information and forms by visiting their website at http://www.nyscseapartnership.org/ or calling the Partnership at 1-800-253-4332, Option 2.
The Management/Confidential (M/C) online courses are offered for entire statewide
M/C workforce through our own Continuing Education group at no charge to employees.
These course offerings meet a wide variety of professional and personal development
needs. For additional information and to register please follow this link: http://www2.binghamton.edu/continuing-education/non-credit-programs/index.html
MC Certification and Licensure Exam Fee Reimbursement Program
The Certification and Licensure Exam Fee Reimbursement Program reimburses eligible M/C employees up to $600 for certification and licensure examinations.
If you have questions about these programs, please contact Luanne DiRico at 607-777-6950.
MC Tuition Reimbursement Program
For employees in Management/Confidential bargaining units, this program partially reimburses tuition costs for both credit and non-credit career-related courses. The reimbursement rate is 75%, up to a total of $2,000 per fiscal year, at an accredited school. Information and forms can be obtained at: http://www.goer.ny.gov/Training_Development/Management_Confidential/index.cfm