In accordance with the Policies of the Board of Trustees and the Agreement between the State of New York and UUP, employees are required to complete and submit attendance records.
Per the UUP Agreement §23.9 Attendance Records, employees shall be required to certify their presence and record any absences on forms to be provided by the State. Employees shall also be required to record on such forms any charges to or accruals of vacation or sick leave credits. Such forms shall be submitted to the College President, or designee, for review on a monthly basis.
New Log-in Page effective Monday April 22nd, 2013
All employees currently using online time and attendance will be able to access their time records through the new SUNY employee portal page at https://www.suny.edu/hrportal as of Monday April 22nd 2013.
The Self Service section will contain the online Time and Attendance System, View Paycheck feature and the option to self-report legal address changes online.
Employees currently using the online time and attendance system will see a new screen upon signing into the system.
The new notification section will enable us to provide more detailed information regarding Time and Attendance, SUNY and Campus wide messages.
Current employees using the Time & Attendance System through the https://www.suny.edu/time link will need to redirect to:
Any questions regarding your PODS username or password may be directed to the ITS Help Desk at 777-6420.
Online Time and Attendance
Accessing the Online System
Access to the new SUNY Time and Attendance system is accomplished via a secure sign-on
To sign in you need your PODS user ID and Password.
- Select "Binghamton" as your campus
- Enter your PODS User ID in the BU User ID field
- Enter your PODS password in the BU Password field
- Click Log in
- You will need your unique SUNY ID number provided by Human Resources for a one-time security screen entry.
- Follow the instructions in the PowerPoint presentation below.
Can't remember your PODS password?
Go to: Binghamton University Account Access Page or contact the ITS Help Desk at 607-777-6420.
Please note the following Browser requirements:
- For PC's on the Windows operating system:
- Internet Explorer (IE), use version 7.0+ (or higher)
- Mozilla Firefox, use version 3.5+ (or higher)
- Macintosh OS
- Java script needs to be installed (common issue)
- Popup Blocker should be turned off
- Active X should be installed and enabled
- For PC's on the Windows operating system:
One page guide to submit your monthly record (.pdf 161kb)
Supervisor's one page guide to monthly approvals (.pdf 121kb)
Time Record Instructions
- Accrual Balances: Balances are carried forward from your previous time record (vacation, sick leave, etc)
- Accrual Charges: Charge time in quarter day increments only - .25, .50, .75 and 1.0. Please round to the nearest increment listed.
- Holidays: Holidays for any given month are located in the at the lower right-hand portion of your online time record. Please accrue any holidays you may be eligible for, and save.
- Record frequency: Employees should complete their time record on a monthly basis and submit them electronically to their supervisor.
- Workflow: Human Resources will receive your time record after your supervisor has approved your electronic record.
Part-time professionals have a few additional instructions
- Schedule: Indicate your work schedule and your percentage of effort (FTE) in the comments box located on the time record (mandatory for holiday accruals).
- Holiday Leave: As per the New York State Time and Attendance rules, part-time employees eligible to earn paid Holiday Leave only will do so if they would be regularly scheduled to work on the holiday.
- Saturday/Sunday Holidays: Benefits-eligible part-time professionals, eligible to observe holidays: shall be
granted a compensatory day off when any holiday indicated herein falls on a Saturday
or Sunday: (New Year's Day; Martin Luther King Day, Lincoln's birthday; Washington's
birthday; Memorial Day; Independence Day; Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans' Day;
Election Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day).
- If a Sunday holiday is observed on a Monday, you will observe the holiday on Monday if it is a regularly scheduled workday.
- If Monday is not a regularly scheduled workday, and you are benefits eligible, you will accrue a day of holiday compensatory time.
Maximum Accrual Balances
- By December 31st of each calendar year vacation balances may not exceed 40 days
- The maximum number of vacation days a professional employee may be paid for upon separation is 30 days
- Maximum allowable sick leave balance at any time is 200 days
- Holidays must be used within one (1) year of accrual, therefore the maximum holiday balance allowable is 12.
The values on this page will be accurate only for the current contract year (July - June). Values for other contract years, future or past, should be requested from HR or found in the UUP agreement.
Accrual Rates for Management Confidential (Professionals)
Full Time Accrual Rate
Full-time calendar year and college year Management Confidential employees earn vacation and sick leave at the rate of 1.75 days/month.
Part Time Accrual Rate
- Part-time Management confidential employees earn a pro-rated amount based upon part-time appointment percentage.
Accrual Rates for UUP Employees (Faculty and Professionals)
Full Time Accrual Rates
Full-time calendar year and college year employees hired prior to July 1, 1982 earn
vacation and sick leave at the rate of 1.75 days/month.
Full-time employees hired after that date earn as follows:
Years of Service/Rate
- 0,1 years of service earn 1.25 days per month
- 2 years of service earn 1.33, 1.33, 1.34 pattern per month
- 3,4,5 years of service earn 1.50 days per month
- 6 years of service earn 1.66, 1.67, 1.67 pattern per month
- 7 years of service earn 1.75 days per month
NOTE: In the above chart, Years of Service 0,1 apply to the first 12 months of service. At the beginning of the second year of service (Years of Service 2; 13 through 24 months of service) the accrual rate increases to the 1.33, 1.33, 1.34 pattern.
Part Time Accrual Rates
Part-time calendar and college year employees earn vacation and sick leave as follows (based on Salary Rate):
- up to $12,983 earn .25 day per month
- $12,984 - 19,589 earn .50 day per month
- $19,590 - 26,194 earn 1.0 day per month
- $26,195 or higher earn 1.25 days per month
The values above will be accurate only for the current contract year (July 2010 through June 2011). Values for other contract years, future or past, should be requested from HR or refer to the UUP agreement.
Family Illness or Bereavement
The Policies of the Board of Trustees and the UUP Agreement allow employees to use up to thirty (30) days of sick leave per agreement year for absences necessitated by a death or illness in the employee's immediate family; such days are recorded as "family sick leave" (FS).
Further information regarding leaves may be found in the UUP Agreement, Article 23; the Policies of the Board of Trustees, Article XIII; and the Handbook for Faculty and Professional Staff. Questions about sick leave procedures may be directed to the Office of Human Resources.
Click here for legal holiday calendars
Holiday Accrual Process
IF YOU DID NOT WORK THE HOLIDAY, NO ACTION IS REQUIRED. As part of the updated process, effective Sept. 1, 2012, you will not deposit or charge the holiday if you are entitled to it and you did not work on the date the holiday is officially observed.
- IF YOU DID WORK THE HOLIDAY, ACTION IS STILL REQUIRED. You will enter the time you are entitled to in the "Earned Amount" box for each holiday (at the bottom right of the screen).
Click on "SAVE TIME RECORD" button (on the bottom of the screen toward the left). This deposits the holiday(s) into your "bucket" for use within that month or at a future date.
Holidays will always be listed on the bottom right of your screen. Questions may be directed to Jonathan Roma in Human Resources.
May be Presidentially-designated to be charged on a different day.
Election Day (November) and Lincoln's Birthday (February)
The two Presidentially-designated floaters we enjoy each year require a slightly different approach than a standard holiday, as floaters are already loaded (added to the employee's accrual balance) and because floaters may actually occur on a day other than the day observed.
ELECTION DAY (NOVEMBER)
Full-time employees should leave the "1" in the Holiday Time Worked box (bottom right of the screen).
Next, employees should proceed following one of the two scenarios below:
- IF FLOATING HOLIDAY IS NOT WORKED ON THE DESIGNATED "OBSERVED DATE" - FT employees will also charge the floating holiday (unlike the process for standard holidays). This step subtracts the day from the accrual balance. The entry should look like this:
- OR, IF FLOATING HOLIDAY IS WORKED ON THE "OBSERVED DATE" - FT employees won't take any action, as the day has already been "loaded" into the employee's accrual balance for use at a future date (as a floating holiday). The entry should look like this:
LINCOLN'S BIRTHDAY (FEBRUARY)
Full-time employees who DID NOT WORK on Lincoln's Birthday should change the Earned Amount in the Holiday Time Worked box from "1" to "0," then click on "Save Time Record". No charge should be made to the record. The following reflects the correct displays:
Full-time employees who DID WORK on Lincoln's Birthday should retain, unchanged, the "1" credit already reflected in the Earned Amount in the Holiday Time Worked box. No charge should be made to the record. The following reflects the correct displays:
LASTLY, SAVE YOUR ENTRIES. After making entries, be sure to hit "Save" in the bottom left of the pop-up box in which you make your charge, AND also "Save Time Record," bottom left of the main screen - this step actually processes your your entries in the system.
NOTE: Regarding Floating Holidays that have a separate, designated OBSERVED DATE - if the Actual holiday date is not worked, employee must charge leave credits following the usual process.
Part-time Employees who are regularly scheduled to work on the ACTUAL floating date, will also accrue it per their individual rate.
To document the OBSERVED DATE of a floating holiday: (OBSERVED DATE for Floating Holidays is noted within the Holiday Time Worked box at the bottom right of the screen.)
- If regularly scheduled to report on the OBSERVED DATE for the floating holiday and not worked an employee should also enter a charge for it.
- If not normally scheduled to work on the OBSERVED DATE for the floating holiday, no action is necessary, as the holiday has already been accrued, making it available for use as a floating holiday in the future.
LASTLY, SAVE YOUR ENTRIES. After making entries, be sure to hit "Save" in the bottom left of the pop-up box in which you make your charge, AND also "Save Time Record," bottom left of the main screen - this step actually processes your entries in the system.
Click here for leave information for each of our employment categories.
12 Month Faculty:
Associate Director of Human Resources
Manager of Student Employment