The Institute for Asia
and Asian Diasporas
The Institute for Asia and Asian Diasporas (IAAD) was founded in May 2006 with the support of the Binghamton University Division of Research. Its core mission rests on the three central pillars of: research, development and outreach. In that regard, the IAAD has translated its mission pillars through the following:
- Supporting and informing development and outreach activities within and without the University.
- Partnering with New York businesses, unionism city/state agencies, development groups and non-governmental organizations to foster social economic development.
- Collaborating with Asian American partners in the Greater Binghamton community to work towards creating an Asian cultural center.
- Broadening American understandings of Asia through virtual educational training programs, seminars and workshops.
- Cultivating relationships with businesses, unions and higher-educational institutions in Asia.
The Institute is proud to include the Confucius Institute of Chinese Opera (CICO) and the Center for Korean Studies (CKS) as centers that contribute to the overall vision and mission of the IAAD and provide in depth collaborations and understandings of regions in Asia.
The Institute expresses its expertise and commitment to the economic development of the Greater Binghamton area by offering a range of services including:
- Lectures, workshops and symposia related to Asia
- Creation of linkages between Asian businesses, educational institutions, NGOs, governmental organizations and Binghamton University
- Asian cultural awareness workshops
- Community-wide Asian cultural events
- Asian American community-based research and data collection
- Adult/community education on Asia
- Faculty specialists
- Fudan and Soochow Universities and the National Academy of Chinese Theater Arts (NACTA) (China)
- Seoul National and Korea Universities (Korea)
- Binghamton City School District
- Chinese School of Binghamton
- Binghamton University: Department of Asian and Asian American Studies; the Schools of Engineering, Management, Education, and Public and Community Relations: and the Overseas Study Program
- Zhenjiang International School in Zhenjiang, Jiangsu Province, China
Dr. John Chaffee
Distinguished Service Professor and Director
Dr. Fran Goldman
Administrative Assistant and Outreach Coordinator