The Institute for Asia
and Asian Diasporas
The Institute for Asia and Asian Diasporas (IAAD) was founded in May 2006 with the support of the Binghamton University Division of Research. Its mission is to serve as a catalyst for the study of all parts of Asia (including western, central, southern, southeastern and eastern Asia). Its activities in support of that mission focus on Asia-related research, collaborations and partnerships in support of scholarship and education, and cultural outreach. In that regard, the IAAD has translated its mission pillars through the following:
- Supporting and informing development and outreach activities within and without the University.
- Partnering with New York businesses, unionism city/state agencies, development groups and non-governmental organizations to foster social economic development.
- Collaborating with Asian American partners in the Greater Binghamton community to work towards creating an Asian cultural center.
- Broadening American understandings of Asia through virtual educational training programs, seminars and workshops.
- Cultivating relationships with businesses, unions and higher-educational institutions in Asia.
The Institute is proud to include the Confucius Institute of Chinese Opera (CICO) and the Center for Korean Studies (CKS) as centers that contribute to the overall vision and mission of the IAAD and provide in depth collaborations and understandings of regions in Asia.