Tips: Print Smart | Print PDFs | Print PowerPoints
Students can print directly to laser printers from PCs and Macintoshes in public computing areas, from personal computers and laptops, and from BINGSUNS using the Pharos laser printing system. Each semester students receive an initial seed of $9.75 and a weekly credit of $2.25. This provides 825 single-sided pages or 1650 double sided pages.
- Simplex by Xerox (one-sided ) $0.05 per page
- Duplex by Xerox (two-sided) $0.03 per side
- Color by Xerox (one-sided only) $0.40 per page
When the quota is exhausted a BUC$ account must be used to pay for additional printing.
Duplex Printing by Default
In order to reduce paper and toner supplies, Duplex printing is the now the default selection when you go to print your files.
Print Jobs' Life Span 30 Minutes
To improve the efficiency of the printing system, print jobs will remain in printing queues for only 30 minutes. Please be sure to retrieve your print jobs within this time frame.
Last year students at Binghamton printed over 12,000,000 pages! Please think before you print and consider these tips to help conserve resources, reduce waste, and make your printing quota last longer.
- Print duplex whenever possible
- Correct errors before printing. Spell check and use "print preview" to identify editing and formatting problems.
- When printing from a web browser, use "print preview" to see how the page will be laid out. Print only the selection of pages that you need.
- When PowerPoint printing, print handouts instead of slides. You can print up to 9 slides per page. Make this selection on the Print dialog box.
- Avoid printing e-mails to simply read them. If you must print multiple emails, cut and paste them into a single MS Word file.
- Share documents electronically using Google Docs, Blackboard or e-mail
Remember: Think before you print.
If you have a BUC$ account and your quota is exhausted you can...
...Use the BUC$ machines in the Bartle Library, Science Library, and University Downtown Center. To add funds using cash, swipe your card in a BUC$ machine and follow the directions. At this time, the BUC$ machines do not accept credit cards.
...Visit the Meal Plan Office in the University Union, just underneath the Tillman Lobby outside the Mandella Room. Hours, Monday – Friday 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., or call 607-777-6000.
Do not purchase a new BUC$ card from the machine. It will not allow you to print black & white or color pages on Information Commons or pods printers. Read more
If you don't have a BUC$ account...
...You can also purchase a card from a BUC$ machine BUT this allow you to ONLY print to the Libraries' Community Printers which can ONLY PRINT WEB PAGES. YOU CANNOT PRINT FILES CREATED WITH APPLICATION SOFTWARE FOUND ON INFORMATION COMMONS COMPUTERS.
Limited printing is available to guests who use the Libraries' Guest Computers by purchasing a BUC$ card from the BUC$ machines available in the Bartle and Science Libraries. BUC$ cards cost $1; additional funds must be added to the card using cash in order to print.
Please visit Services for Community Patrons for information about guest computer access and borrowing privileges.
Community Printers can ONLY PRINT WEB PAGES. YOU CANNOT PRINT FILES CREATED WITH APPLICATION SOFTWARE such as MS Word, Excel, etc.
Please note the additional limitations below regarding the use of BUC$ cards purchased from BUC$ machines.
- Cards purchased from a BUC$ machine are not related to BUC$ accounts on student BU ID cards.
- The funds on the BUC$ card cannot be used to print pages from the Information Commons printers.
- In the Libraries, the BUC$ card can only be used to print to the Community Printers, photocopy, and pay fines.