International graduate student applications up sharply
May 29, 2014Tweet
Binghamton University’s Graduate School has seen a healthy rise in applications for international students over the past year, in sharp contrast to slow growth nationally, according to the Council of Graduate Schools (CGS).
Results of the 2014 CGS survey, which collects data on all international graduate applications, show Binghamton as a national leader in international application growth – nearly 20 percent above the national average.
“Binghamton University is clearly gaining international visibility because of the quality of its programs and the commitment of our deans, faculty and staff to bringing us the best students from around the world,” noted Provost Donald Nieman.
International graduate student applications to Binghamton grew by 26 percent over the prior year, compared to only 7 percent growth nationally.
In specific areas of study looked at in the CGS survey, Binghamton also saw impressive increases:
• Arts and sciences: Up 23 percent at Binghamton University; up 3 percent nationally
• Engineering: Up 25 percent at Binghamton University; up 14 percent nationally
• Physical and earth sciences: Up 51 percent at Binghamton University; up 16 percent nationally
• Life science: Up 11 percent at Binghamton University; down 6 percent nationally
• Social sciences and psychology: Up 11 percent at Binghamton University; no change nationally
• Education: Up 89 percent at Binghamton University; down 1 percent nationally
• Other fields: Up 14 percent at Binghamton University; up 2 percent nationally
• Business: Up 7 at Binghamton University; up 7 percent nationally
Binghamton has outperformed its peers for the second year in a row, having also seen exceptional growth in 2013, when international graduate applications to Binghamton were up 29 percent, compared with 1 percent nationally.
“This massive growth is not a coincidence,” said Susan Strehle, vice provost and dean of the Graduate School. “Our new application, upgrades to our Electronic Graduate Admission Decision System, streamlined admissions procedures, online marketing and social media in other languages, as well as the dedication of our staff and the hard work of schools and departments are responsible for this achievement.”