NCAA closes men’s basketball investigation, no major violations found
October 18, 2010Tweet
The NCAA has completed its review of Binghamton University’s men’s basketball team and has found no major violations. According to a letter from NCAA Assistant Director of Enforcement Mike Zonder, “The enforcement staff does not believe that the information developed during its preliminary inquiry supports allegations of major NCAA infractions, and, absent the emergence of new information, is closing the case.”
Binghamton’s Interim President C. Peter Magrath said the University “has worked diligently to address a range of issues relative to the University’s athletic program and in particular, the men’s basketball program.
“We have taken the lead in assisting SUNY Chancellor Nancy Zimpher in her efforts to develop good athletic policies for athletics programs across the SUNY system,” he said. “This is a good outcome, particularly for the community and the people who have supported us. The community understands we are moving forward and we thank the community for its support now and into the future.”
Speaking to reporters, Magrath and Interim Athletic Director James Norris said two secondary violations, both relating to impermissible travel, have been addressed and do not carry significant sanctions. “We will continue to be fully compliant with all NCAA regulations,” Magrath said.
“We’ve got the letter,” said Magrath, adding lightheartedly that “our men’s basketball team will be very good and I’ve made it really clear that I’d like to see us win the [America East] tournament.”
Norris said the University’s men’s basketball program is in a positive place. “We don’t have a cloud hanging over our heads any longer,” he said. “We didn’t graduate anyone from last year’s team and I’m thrilled they’ll arrive ready to play.
“We also have three absolutely top-notch freshmen recruited by Interim Head Coach Mark Macon, who has been extremely effective during the worst of times,” Norris added. “Now the best of times are coming.”