On-Campus Employment Regulations for Students in F-1 Status 

The Department of Homeland Security's Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) regulations governon-campus employment for students in F-1 status.

An F-1 student may work on campus if:

  • Valid F-1 status is maintained
  • Employment does not exceed 20 hours per week while school is in session
    Note: If a student works for more than one on-campus employer, the total number of hours worked from all jobs cannot exceed 20 hours per week.

F-1 students may be employed full time on campus during holidays and vacation periods, provided they intend to register for the next academic semester.

The definition of on-campus employment includes:

  • Work performed on the Binghamton campus, including that required by a scholarship, fellowship or assistantship
  • Work for an on-campus employer who has a contract to provide services to students; including OCCT, Campus Pre-School, Barnes & Noble and Binghamton University Dining Services
  • Work at an off-campus location that is educationally affiliated with Binghamton University. This affiliation must be associated with Binghamton University's established curriculum or be related to a contractually funded graduate-level research project that a program or department at Binghamton has agreed to perform. Such employment must be an integral part of the student's program of study. If all of these conditions are met, the employment will be considered on campus and the student may receive payment directly from the employer.

Students are urged to come to the Office of International Student and Scholar Services to be sure that such off-campus work meets the BCIS definition of on-campus employment.

F-1 students maintaining lawful status who plan to enroll at a new school for the next academic term may continue on-campus employment at Binghamton until the reporting date to the new school, or may begin employment at the new school provided that the new school has issued a new form I-20.

To apply for on-campus employment, F-1 students should come to the Office of International Student and Scholar Services to request a Verification of Work Authorization Form (I-9 Verification Form), and an On-Campus Employment Information Packet. This packet includes a list of possible on-campus employment opportunities.

Last Updated: 8/24/16