Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Welcome to Binghamton University! We look forward to your arrival and hope to make one step easier by anticipating some of your questions about health form requirements. These are questions frequently asked by our international population. If you have a question that is not addressed here, please read our web page or email us at

Q. Can I have my health form completed by my doctor in my home country?

A. Yes! We encourage you to have the entire form completed at home. The tuberculin skin test or chest x-ray must be done in the U.S. or Canada, however. Unless you are coming from Canada, you should wait to have your tuberculin testing done here on campus. We are prepared to do this for you at no charge at orientation. You may also visit our office at any time if you arrive on campus earlier.

Q. Why must I have the tuberculin testing done in the U.S. or Canada?

A. There are different products used throughout the world for tuberculin testing and different methods of interpretation. We use only U.S. or Canadian testing in order to assure a consistent assessment.

Q. I have many questions about health insurance.

A. Please contact the Health Insurance team at the International Student and Scholar Services office by email at

Q. Can my spouse and/or children receive services at the Decker Student Health Services Center?

A. Health Services is only permitted to serve registered students. Your spouse and children will need to access physicians in our community.

Q.Can I mail, fax, or e-mail my health form to the campus?

A. Yes, you can. Our mail and fax numbers are on the forms. If you mail the form, we suggest that you keep a copy in case it gets lost! E-mail to: health.forms@

Q. What if I need vaccinations?

A. New York State Public Health Laws require submission of proof of immunity to Measles, Mumps and Rubella for all students born on or after January 1, 1957. A second requirement is the completion of the meningitis response. Information can be obtained on the web at These immunity requirements must be fulfilled upon your arrival in Binghamton and prior to your registration for Fall 2012 classes. Your continued enrollment in classes and eligibility for financial aid and campus housing depend on your compliance with these immunity requirements.

The Decker Student Health Services Center can provide you required vaccination for measles, mumps and rubella (it is one vaccination with all three vaccines) at no charge. We also perform the tuberculin test at no charge. However, we cannot perform your physical examination and strongly urge that you have that completed at home. It can be expensive to do here off campus and your insurance may not pay for it.

Q. What if I am unable medically to complete the requirements or have religious beliefs that prevent me from doing so?

A. Exemptions for temporary or permanent medical reasons or on religious grounds are possible. You should obtain a letter from your doctor explaining the basis and length of time for a medical exemption. You should write a request for exemption based on sincerely held religious beliefs with an explanation and include a letter of support from a religious leader or someone who can confirm your long-held beliefs. You will be asked to sign a waiver form as well.

Q. How will I know if my forms are complete?

A. You will not be able to register for classes until your Measles, Mumps and Rubella, and Meningitis information has been submitted and is complete. We will send an email reminder to you during the semester if there are additional health requirements that are outstanding. Your local address is very important! Please be sure the ISSS Office has your current local address at all times. And be certain to check your BU assigned email frequently for information.

Please do not hesitate to email if you have questions not covered here or on our web page!


Johann Fiore-Conte, Director of Health and Counseling Services

Last Updated: 8/28/14