Applying for a NYS Learner’s Permit or NYS Driver’s License

The New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) provides eligible persons in New York State (NYS) with documents necessary to legally drive a car in New York State, and identity documents (NYS ID card).

International students are allowed to drive in New York State using their home country driver’s license and an International Driving Permit if your home country license is not in English.

  • You may also wish to apply at the NYS DMV for a NYS Learner’s Permit or a NYS Driver’s License.
  • To apply for a NYS Learner’s Permit or NYS Driver’s License you need to bring the following documents with you to the NYS DMV:
  • A Letter of Certification prepared for you by the ISSS office. This letter will confirm you valid visa status and full time enrollment at Binghamton University
  • Your immigration documents, I-20 or DS-2019 (you will need the one with the most recent entry stamp. If you have a document issued after your most recent entry, you need both documents) visa, passport, and I-94 card
  • Your name must be the same on all your identity documents (passport, I-94, I-20 or DS-2019)
  • US Social Security card or a Letter of Ineligibility from the Social Security Administration
  • Additional proof of identity to meet the 6 points of identity required by NYS DMV (see the attached information sheet on documentation to prove your identity to the NYS DMV) or look at the following website:
  • NYS DMV application for the NYS Learner’s Permit or NYS Driver’s License

For more information about owning a car in the United States go to and click on “Publications.”

Binghamton Department of Motor Vehicles Office
181 Clinton Street, Binghamton
Monday – Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm
Phone (607) 778-2337

Last Updated: 8/28/14