J-1 Student’s Directions for Application for Extension of Stay
This checklist will assist you in preparing your application for an Extension of Stay.
You need to submit to the ISSS:
* Academic Advisor’s Form for Extension of Stay – You and your advisor need to answer all questions on the form. Your advisor is the only person who can complete the Advisor’s Section of the form. If your advisor is not available contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Financial Documentation: Financial documentation can be brought to the ISSS office or can be faxed or sent as an email attachment to the attention of Karen Keefe-Guzikowski, at 607-777-2889. Email attachments should be sent to email@example.com Originals of these documents must also be mailed to our office.
o Financial Documentation can be any of the following, or a combination:
§ Recent personal bank statement (issued within the last 3 months)
· Your full name must be on the statement as account owner
§ Certificates of Deposit Statement in your name
§ Funding Letter covering the period of the extension from your academic department or program
§ Stock Certificates in your name
* If you have a financial sponsor, such as a parent or relative, you must submit:
§ Sponsor’s recent bank statement
§ Letter or affidavit of support in English from sponsor stating their relationship
to you (a letter of support is not the same as a government’s certification of family
members) and confirming that they will support you while you are a student at Binghamton
University (see example of a support letter on the other side of this page)
· Letter or Affidavit of Support must be current
§ If your financial sponsor is a permanent resident or a US citizen, and lives in
the United States, your sponsor needs to also fill out Form I-134 Affidavit of Support
§ Proof of Sponsor’s Certificate of Deposit
§ Sponsor’s Stock Certificates
* If your sponsor is faxing a bank statement or other financial documents to us they must attach a cover sheet that includes your name and notes that the document is for your extension application. We cannot match the financials to your extension application unless the sponsor tells us the name of the student they are supporting.
After you submit the Academic Advisor’s Recommendation form, we will e-mail you the
financial amount you need to document
o If you have dependents in the U.S. your financial documentation must also show support for them
Your application needs to be complete (advisor’s recommendation form and all necessary financial documentation) before we can begin processing your new DS-2019
Applications submitted after the suggested deadline will be in a long processing que. We will protect your valid visa status but your new DS-2019 may not be available quickly
When your new DS-2019 is ready you will receive an e-mail message to either come to our office to pick it up, or provide a mailing address for it to be sent to you.
Support Letter Example:
To Whom It May Concern:
I (Sponsor or family member's name) will provide financial support for (Student's name) while they are enrolled in Binghamton University. I am the student's: (relationship of sponsor or family member to the student).
Name of sponsor or family member