ISSS-BU News 18 June 2012 ISSS-BU News

An electronic news service for international students and scholars, owned by the Office of International Student and Scholar Services atBinghamtonUniversity, State University of New York

Visit ISSS on the Web!

1. Opportunities to Get Involved and Make a Difference
2. I-94 Card Issues
3. 2013 Fiscal Year H-1B Cap Has Been Reached

1. Opportunities to Get Involved and Make a Difference
Looking to get involved? Do you want to make a difference?
Binghamton University offers a variety of ways to become active learners and engaged citizens.

With CAMPUS & COMMUNITY CONNECTIONS, the weekly bulletin from the Center for Civic Engagement (CCE), seizing these opportunities has never been easier. Each and every week you can expect to find information on ways to get engaged, including:
* Upcoming Campus & Community Events
* Volunteer & Service Opportunities
* Internships (Credit & Non-Credit)
* Community-Based Research Project

To learn more, read the latest Campus and Community Connections newsletter:

Previous newsletters are archived at:

For more information on the Center for Civic Engagement, visit

2. I-94 Card Issues
Most students and scholars are familiar with the I-94 card, also known as a departure card. It is the long white card that is distributed on airplanes (as well as land and sea ports) prior to entering the United States. It has three parts, and the bottom portion, the small white “departure” card, is stapled inside your passport after it is stamped by a US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) official at a US port of entry. 

Unlike your passport, your US visa stamp, or your I-20 or DS-2019, the I-94 card is the one official travel document that is filled out by you. However, if what you write on the I-94 card (especially your name and date of birth) does not exactly match the information on your I-20 or DS-2019, there can be problems later if you are applying for a U.S. social security number or a driver’s license.

The I-94 card may not look very important, but it is the one U.S. immigration document that confers your ability to legally remain in the United States. It is supposed to stay with your passport, which is why it is frequently stapled next to the US visa page. It is very expensive to replace if lost, as the filing fee for a replacement I-94 is $330.

The I-94 card is supposed to be turned in to the airline whenever you travel outside the United States (except if you are traveling to Canada, Mexico or the adjacent islands for a trip of fewer than 30 days in which you will directly return to the United States to resume studies). However, sometimes airlines forget to collect the card.

In response to these issues, the Office of International Student and Scholar Services has a web page that explains how to correctly fill out an I-94 card, and instructions on what to do if your I-94 card is not collected when you depart the United States. This information on how to fill out the I-94 card is provided to all new students entering for Fall, but we want to share it with current students as well, since every return to the United States means you are filling out a new I-94 card.

For information on how to correctly fill out the I-94 card, visit:
For information on what to do if you depart the United States and the airline fails to collect the I-94 card, visit:
Students who have lost their I-94 card should come to the ISSS for information on how to replace the card.

3. 2013 Fiscal Year H-1B Cap Has Been Reached
On June 11, 2012, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services USCIS) received a sufficient number of petitions to reach the statutory cap for H-1B visas for Fiscal Year 2013. On June 7, 2012, USCIS also received more than 20,000 H-1B petitions on behalf of persons exempt from the cap under the advanced degree exemption. USCIS will reject petitions subject to the cap for H-1B specialty occupation workers seeking an employment start date in FY 2013 (October 1, 2012 or later) that are received after June 11, 2012.

USCIS continues to accept petitions exempted from the cap and Department Of Defense cooperative research worker H-1B petitions and Chile/Singapore H-1B1 petitions requesting an employment start date in FY 2013.

To read the official USCIS announcement, click here

ISSS-BU is a listserv owned and managed by the Office of International Student and Scholar Services, Division of Student Affairs, at the State University of New York at Binghamton. It is the publisher of ISSS-BU News. Permission is granted to freely distribute the information posted to this list as long as its contents remain unchanged.

To sign on to ISSS-BU from an e-mail account on the server, send an e-mail message to Leave the subject line blank. In the message text, type: subscribe ISSS-BU first name last name

Replace "first name last name" with your name.

If your e-mail account is on a server other than, send an e-mail message to In the message text, type: Please subscribe isss-bu, your e-mail address, your first and last name.

If you are a registered student and don't have an e-mail account, you may claim an e-mail address and password from the following link: Be sure to read and follow the instructions carefully. If you encounter difficulty, visit the Help Desk in the lobby of the Computer Services building.

Last Updated: 4/12/16