English Proficiency Examination
New international students take a short English language proficiency examination during Orientation. The ESL exam will be offered on Monday, August 25th from 1:00pm - 3:00pm in LH2 and Wednesday, August 27th from 9:00am - 11:00am in EB110.
You must take the exam if:
- You have a TOEFL score under 106 IBT (263 CBT, 625 PBT).
- TOEFL score under 95 IBT (250 CBT, 600 PBT) and you were educated in an English- medium institution IELTS score under 8.0.
- IELTS score under 8.0.
- You are ESL conditionally admitted.
- You intend to register for ESL general education class.
You may take only the writing part of the exam if:
- You have transferred from a U.S. college or university and you feel confident in your listening and speaking skills.
You do not need to take the exam if you are one of the following:
- Students who scored 625 or higher on the paper based test of the TOEFL (263 on the computer based test or 106 -108 on the internet based test).
- Students schooled in an English-medium institution who scored 600 or higher on the paper based test of the TOEFL (250 on the computer based test or 95 on the internet based test).
- Students with a minimum IELTS score of 8.0 or higher.
- Students whose native language is English.
- If you are a School of Management graduate student, you are exempt from the ESL Placement Exam, unless you have been admitted conditionally.
- Dual Diploma students,unless they are conditionally admitted.
If you have any further questions about the placement exam, please contact Linda Sukarat, Interim ESL Program Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please Note: Exchange students are welcome to take the ESL exam. Space is limited for Exchange Students interested in participating in ESL courses. Exchange students that are interested in ESL courses should contact the ESL Office directly.