Social Security Number

New international students in F-1 or J-1 visa status are eligible for a Social Security Number if they have an on-campus job offer.

If you do not have an on-campus job offer you will be able to apply for a Letter of Ineligibility from the Social Security Administration. If you have scholarship income you need to report to the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS), but you are not working as part of the requirements for the scholarship, you are eligible for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).

At Orientation we will provide information on where to apply for either a Social Security Number, a Letter of Ineligibility for a Social Security Number or an ITIN.

For more detailed information on Social Security Numbers or ITINs you will want to review the guidance at these weblinks:

Last Updated: 8/28/14