Applying for a New York State ID Card:
The New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (NYS DMV) provides eligible persons living in New York State (NYS) with identity documents.
International students will want to apply at the NYS DMV for a NYS ID card. This card will allow you to cash checks and verify your identity when necessary, while you keep your immigration documents at home in a safe place.
To apply for a NYS ID Card you need to bring the following documents with you to the NYS DMV:
1. Your immigration documents, I-20 or DS-2019 (you will need the one with the most recent entry stamp, if you have a document issued after your most recent entry, you need both documents) visa and passport, and I-94 card
2. At the time of your application your I-20 or DS-2019 must be issued for a minimum of 1 year, and 6 months must remain before the program completion date (page 1, item 5 on the I-20) (page 1, item 3 on the DS-2019)
3. Be sure your name is the same on all of your identity documents
4. US Social Security card or a Letter of Ineligibility from the Social Security Administration
5. Additional proof of identity to meet the 6 points of identity required by NYS DMV (see the attached information sheet on documentation to prove your identity to the NYS DMV or go to this website: http://dmv.ny.gov/forms/id44.pdf)
6. NYS DMV application for the NYS ID Card
Directions to the NYS Department of Motor Vehicles:
All persons in F or J visa status must go to the Chenango Street office of the NYS DMV. This is the only office presently equipped with the technology required to process applications where verification of a passport identity pages is necessary.
You can check on office hours by calling 607-778-2337. Remember office hours may change so be sure to check for the hours during the week you plan to visit the DMV office.