Korean Students, Military Service and Returning to Binghamton

Each year, the Office of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) is visited by a number of male students from the Republic of Korea, asking about leaving Binghamton University to enter military service, and the steps to return to school after their commitment ends.

Before you depart Binghamton, you will want to comply with US federal regulations by completing the ISSS departure form, available on line at: http://www.binghamton.edu/isss/travel/departure-form.html

Do this once you know the date you will depart the United States.

If you have advance-registered for the next semester, you will want to drop all of your courses, it will not be possible for you to drop all of them on BU-Brain.  Instead, you will need to complete a University Withdrawal Form, have it signed by the ISSS, and then submit it to the Office of Financial Aid Services and Registrar (Student Wing Room 109) so that you will not incur any financial obligations for the next semester.

In order to return to Binghamton after your military service, you will want to complete a re-enrollment form approximately three-five months before the start of the semester for which you want to return.  The form is submitted to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. The form is revised yearly, but can be found at the following web link:

As long as you leave the University in good academic standing and without any outstanding debts (such as library fines, parking fines, etc) you should have no difficulty in being re-admitted into the program that you left.

The ISSS will then be notified of your re-admission.  At that time, we will contact you and request that you recertify your finances so that we can prepare a new I-20 for you.

Re-certifying your finances can be done by providing us with a current bank statement. The bank account can be in your home country, or in the United States. If the account holder is someone other than yourself, we will also require a statement from the account holder, stating the account holder's relationship to you, and that the account holder is willing to provide for your educational expenses while at Binghamton. This information should be sent to the ISSS. Be sure to include a note with the financial documentation, giving your name and that it is for your re-admission application.

The new I-20 is needed because once you have been outside the United States for a period of more than five months, your current I-20 ceases to be valid, even though it may have an ending date in the future. But, you should not discard any of your I-20s! Keep them as they are a record of your immigration history in the United States.

If you have any questions regarding this procedure, please send an e-mail message to isss@binghamton.edu

Last Updated: 4/12/16