Help with Completing Your Tax Forms
(For Tax Year 2013)

Once again, the ISSS has purchased a license with GLACIER Tax Prep to allow BU international students, alumni, scholars and faculty to use GLACIER Tax Prep to compute and print the federal income tax forms. GLACIER Tax Prep is a web-based tax preparation system designed exclusively for international students, scholars and faculty who file forms 1040NR or 1040NR EZ as non-residents for tax purposes. For information on GLACIER Tax Prep click here:

GLACIER Tax Prep is designed to prepare and produce only federal non-resident forms. GLACIER Tax Prep does not complete state income tax forms. Other options include using a qualified volunteer or professional tax preparation preparer.

The deadline for filing your income tax returns is April 15, 2014.


Call the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) at 1-267-941-1000 (this is not a free call, available 6am to 2am Eastern Time Monday-Friday) or visit this link:

Call the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) at 1-800-829-1040 (free call)
Assistance is available, 7:00am to 7:00pm your local time, Monday - Friday.
Or, visit their website,

Additional help is available by calling New York State Tax at
1-800-225-5829 (free call) or 518-485-6800 (outside the U.S. and Canada)
Assistance is available from 8:00am - 5:00pm Monday - Friday. Or, visit their website,

Free assistance with resident tax forms only is offered through the VITA volunteer program of AARP at the Broome County Public Library, 185 Court Street in downtown Binghamton. The hours are: (by appointment only) Monday – Saturday (closed Sundays) from 10am to 2pm. To request an appointment, call 211 or (800) 901-2180 from 8:30am to 4:00pm. There is also assistance available at the Oakdale Mall, near Ruby Tuesday's Restaurant. These are walk-in hours from 10am to 2pm on Tuesdays - Fridays. After March 16, the days will be Tuesdays-Thursdays. The volunteers at the Broome County Library and at the Oakdale Mall are NOT trained to assist with non-resident tax matters, nor are they trained on such issues as tax treaties.

Visit the self-help tax web site of the University of Texas at Austin International Office: The site contains step-by-step instructions and examples of the required forms.

Contact a tax preparation service, professional tax accountant, or tax attorney. Be sure that whomever you visit is knowledgeable about non-resident tax laws. (Note that a fee will be charged by anyone hired to prepare your tax forms.)

International Student & Scholar Services Staff are neither qualified nor permitted to give individual tax advice. Please view the information on our web pages.

Last Updated: 8/28/14