Skip header content and main navigation Binghamton University, State University of New York - Isss



Please note: The Canadian Consulate in Buffalo, New York has closed. The closest Canadian visa post is the Canadian Consulate General in New York City.

All of the web links below can be accessed on-line by going to: and clicking on “Travel to Canada.”

If you plan to travel to Canada and stay less than thirty days, you may be required to obtain a Canadian visa. Please view the following on-line list to determine if citizens from your country are required to obtain visas in order to visit Canada:

To obtain a Canadian Temporary Resident (visitors) visa, you may apply by mail or in person to the Canadian Consulate in New York City. Please note that same-day service is not offered. Expect visa approval to take as long as thirty days. Mailing instructions are provided on the reverse side of this information sheet. Applications submitted in person must be picked up in person and will not be mailed to applicants. Additionally, applications mailed to the Consulate will only be returned by mail. Passports will not be returned until processing is completed.

There is a processing fee of $75.00 for each single entry visa, and $150.00 for a multiple entry visa. Only certified checks or money orders payable to the “Consulate General of Canada” are acceptable. Cash, credit cards and personal checks are not accepted by mail.

Canadian Consulate General
Immigration Section
1251 Avenue of Americas
New York, NY 10020
Monday – Friday 8:00am to 10:30am
(212) 596-1783 (recording only)

The Canadian Consulate in New York City is located on the Concourse Level of 1251 Avenue of the Americas (6th Avenue) at West 50th Street in Rockefeller Center, in midtown Manhattan.

Canadian Consulate New York City Web Site:

Canadian Consulate New York City Processing times:

Canadian Consulate New York City How to Apply:

When applying for your Temporary Resident (Visitor’s) Visa, use the on line application form available at: The form can be completed electronically, saved, and then printed and signed. You must have a complete application before submitting it either in person or by mail.

Be sure that your passport is valid for at least six months into the future on the date you plan to return to the United State. You will also need two passport-type photos taken within the last six months, a Canadian Temporary Resident Visa Application, the application fee, and any other documents which will satisfy the officer that you are entering Canada for a temporary purpose (bank statements, letter of invitation from a friend or relative in Canada, etc). F-1 visa holders also must have a valid I-20 with a travel signature on page 3 that is less than twelve months old and all previously issued I-20s. J-1 visa holders must have a valid DS-2019 with a travel signature less than twelve months old and all previously issued DS-2019s. You will also need a letter of certification from the Office of International Student and Scholar Services, verifying that you are a student. If the purpose of your visit to Canada is to meet with the U.S. Consulate to change or renew your status in the United States, you will need to present the U.S. Consulate interview/appointment letter. If you have completed your studies and are on

post-completion Optional Practical Training, you must also present your Employment Authorization Card and a letter from your current employer.

Note: You do not need a valid U.S. visa to return to the United States, if your trip to Canada is for less than thirty days, nor should you surrender your I-94 when you cross into Canada. If you are a citizen of Cuba, Iran, Sudan or Syria, a valid US visa is required.

Applying for a Canadian Tourist Visa by Mail

Citizens of all countries requiring a Canadian tourist visa are encouraged to apply by mail if they hold valid non-immigrant status in the United States in the following categories: A, B-1, B-2, E, F, G, H, I, J, L, or M. The Consulate reserves the right to interview any Visitor Visa applicant.

Be sure to provide ALL required documents. Incomplete applications will be refused. If you are sending the Canadian Consulate documents and after the application process is completed, the Canadian Consulate will mail them back to you, if you purchase two prepaid, 9" x 12" USPS Express Mail or USPS Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation envelopes. Documents cannot be returned through courier services.

USPS has recently changed its "flat rate" policy for "Express Mail" or "Priority Mail" envelope, be sure to specify that the envelope will be mailed from New York City.

If you chose to not provide the Canadian Consulate with such a return envelope, they will mail the passport and visa back to you via regular mail (US Postal Service First Class Mail).

The following documents must be submitted in order to obtain the visitor's visa by mail:
Mail everything to:
Canadian Consulate General
Immigration Section
1251 Avenue of Americas
New York, NY 10020
Connect with Binghamton:
Twitter icon links to Binghamton University's Twitter page YouTube icon links to Binghamton University's YouTube page Facebook icon links to Binghamton University's Facebook page Instagram

Last Updated: 9/17/12