How to File a Report

If you have been sexually assaulted or raped, or if think you have been but are not sure, it’s your decision whether you file a report or not. If there is a chance you’ll want to report the incident, either now or in the near future, evidence should be collected within 96 hours of the incident. Evidence can be collected at any hospital emergency department (locally at UHS Binghamton General Hospital or Lourdes Hospital).

If you choose to report the sexual assault, there are various options available to you, listed below. Some of these options require you to provide your name and contact information; in some cases this information can be kept confidential if you request it.

You aren't required to press charges or file a report, but you may choose to do so. If you choose to report the sexual assault, there are various options available to you.  

Formal reports can be filed with:

  • The University Police* by calling 607-777-2393, e-mailing or going to the University Police office in the basement of the Couper Administration Building
  • Report the incident anonymously using the University Police Department’s online Report a Crime Form
  • If you were assaulted off campus, the University Police will take your report and then refer you to the police department that has jurisdiction in the location you were assaulted.
  • If the assault happened off campus, contact the local police
  • Report it to the University Title IX Coordinator, Val Hampton.
  • Telling your resident assistant or resident director, who will then formalize the report with the Office of Student Conduct

Informal reports can be filed with:

You have the RIGHT to an advocate at any time.

Advocacy is available through the Interpersonal Violence Program and from Crime Victim Assistance Center (CVAC), located off campus by calling 607-722-4256. 


Last Updated: 11/13/13