Information for Students
Be among a small group of Harpur students selected to participate in the Liberal Arts to Careers Externship!
Selected students will be matched with a professional for a shadowing experience over winter or summer break. Students and sponsors meet three to five times over the break, for at least one half day per session. The program is structured to ensure opportunity for success, but flexible to meet the needs of each individual pair. Students will be required to participate in an orientation prior to break. Following orientation, each pair will establish goals for their time together and plan logistics for their shadowing experience. At the conclusion of the shadowing sessions, students and sponsors will participate in an evaluation of the program, which will help identify areas for program improvements.
Key Dates for LACE Summer 2015:
- Information Sessions:
- Monday, Feb 16, noon—1pm
Harpur Edge Office Library North 1105 (Near Jazzmans)
- Thursday, Feb 19, 6-7pm
Fleishman Center UU133A
- Monday, Feb 16, noon—1pm
- Application due: March 24
- Student notification of match by April 17
- Externship will occur between end of May and August 28, 2015
How will students benefit?
- Explore careers and work environments and test interests
- Observe day-to-day activities and ask questions to learn more about a potential career field
- Understand important competencies needed for career success
- Gain exposure to the expectations and culture of organizations, as well as workplace dynamics
- Develop relationships with professionals and build your professional network
- Acquire marketable skills
- Learn and practice appropriate business etiquette
- Apply skills learned in college both in and out of the classroom to real life experiences
- Make informed choices about electives, internships, minors and other academic options during junior and senior year
How might students spend their time?
The sponsor and student will jointly shape the experience. Depending upon the particular site, you may be a participant, an observer, or both. Activities might include:
- Observe work being performed by shadowing sponsor and/or co-workers
- Speak with sponsor about their career field, career path, job responsibilities, experiences
- Attend staff or committee meetings or presentations
- Take a tour of the organization
- Participate in informational interviews with staff members to understand the organization, industry and future trends, and career paths within this field.
- Attend a training program for new employees
- Complete or assist with a sampling of work assignment
- Observe client interactions
- Have lunch with sponsor and/or co-workers
- Meet Human Resources staff to understand what they look for in college graduates
- Meet with Binghamton alumni who work there
- Meet young, recently hired staff to understand their experiences
Harpur students in good academic standing with a minimum 2.75 GPA who have completed a minimum of one year of college are eligible to apply. Interested students must:
Apply on hireBING and upload a well-written, professional resume and cover letter, explaining why you want to participate in LACE. The cover letter should be addressed
Ms. Wendy Neuberger
Director, Harpur Edge
- Student recommendation form must be completed by faculty or staff and emailed to email@example.com or submitted in an envelope with reference signature across the seal to Harpur Edge office, LN 1105, Attention: Wendy Neuberger. Students will be directed from the hireBING listing to another web site to select top 5 externship choices.
- All application documents (resume, cover letter, externship choices and recommendation form) must be received by March 24. Applicants will receive an email if they are being invited for an interview. The email will explain how to schedule an interview time.
Students will be selected based on evaluation of cover letter, resume, recommendation and interview, along with the availability of a sponsor match based on career interest and geographic preference. Students are responsible for their own transportation. Students will not receive academic credit or pay.
The Matching Process
Students will be matched to sponsors based on interests and availability, as well as geographic locations. Preference will be given to sophomores. Students will be notified of their acceptance into the program and will receive information about their sponsor during the mandatory orientation.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT LACE :
Liberal Arts to Careers Externship is sponsored by: