National Institutes of Health Public Access Policy
Comply with the National Institutes of Health Public Access Policy at
- Send items to the Libraries' Scholarly Communications Officer, Elizabeth Brown at (607) 777-4882.
- Set up an online account to register manuscripts and reports.
- Some publications require authors to ensure their copyright transfer agreement permits
submission to PubMedCentral. To comply with the policy, add this statement to your copyright transfer agreement:
Journal acknowledges that the Author retains the right to provide a copy of the final manuscript upon acceptance for Journal publication for archiving in PubMed Central as soon as possible but no later than 12 months after publication by the Journal.
- Book chapters, conference presentations, and posters are not covered by the policy.
- Journals participating in PubMed Central (PMC) submit the final manuscript copy to PMC - no additional work is required.
- Journals not participating in PubMedCentral can submit articles to PMC - no additional work is needed.
The NIH's “Revised Policy on Enhancing Public Access to Archived Publications Resulting from NIH-funded Research” became effective April 7, 2008. It requires all authors of NIH-funded research manuscripts to deposit copies into PubMed Central, a free digital archive that enhances the visibility of publicly-funded research of biomedical and life sciences literature. It is based at the NIH and was developed at the National Library of Medicine.
Questions? Contact the Libraries' Scholarly Communications Officer: Elizabeth Brown, (607) 777-4882.