The Tilly Losch Collection: Downton Abbey as seen through the Archives
Tilly Losch was born in 1904 in Vienna, Austria-Hungary. Tilly begin her career in dancing at the age of 15, dancing in the Vienna Ballet and at Burgtheater, until meeting Max Reinhardt in 1927 and Corky B. Cochran soon after, who helped expand her dancing and choreography to productions in the United States and Europe. Tilly danced with Fred Astaire on Broadway, and gained minor roles in films after moving to Hollywood, including The Garden of Allah (1936), The Good Earth (1937), and A Duel in the Sun (1946). In her time recovering from tuberculosis in a sanatorium in Switzerland, Tilly learned to paint, and was fairly successful in her art career, with many gallery showings and even having one painting being purchased by the Tate museum in London. Tilly was married twice; her second marriage was to Lord Henry George Alfred Marius Victor Herbert, the sixth earl of Carnarvon and owner of Highclere Castle (Downton Abbey), more affectionately known as "Porchey." They divorced in 1947, though remained amicable and in close contact for the next three decades. Shortly before her death in 1975, Tilly Losch donated her papers and paintings to the Binghamton University Libraries as it also houses the Max Reinhardt Archives. The collection consists of incoming and outgoing correspondence, as well as legal documents, banking records, personal memorabilia, diaries, press clippings, photographic portraits, and publicity photos. The Tilly Losch Collection also includes a large number of loose sketches, sketchbooks, and over 500 of her paintings.
This exhibit includes personal memorabilia of Tilly Losch, including various pieces of correspondence and photographs, as well as several of her paintings and sketchbooks. Some of her notable acquaintances include Fred and Adele Astaire, Cecil Beaton, Marlon Brando, Winston Churchill, Cole Porter, and Orson Welles. The exhibit is located in Special Collections on the second floor of the Glenn Bartle Library, and can be viewed 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. Monday – Friday throughout the summer.
Kenneth C. Lindsay: Binghamton University's Own Monuments Man
If you go to see The Monuments Men, the new film starring George Clooney, it may interest you to know that Binghamton University had its very own Monuments Man, the late Professor Kenneth C. Lindsay, founder of the Department of Art and Art History at Binghamton. Kenneth Lindsay arrived at Harpur College in 1951, but he did important work well before his arrival at Binghamton University. As a Monuments Man, he worked to protect monuments and other cultural treasures from the destruction of World War II. In the last year of the war, the Monuments Men tracked, located, and in the years that followed, returned more than five million artistic and cultural items stolen by Hitler and the Nazis.
The Kenneth C. Lindsay exhibition is on view now outside of Special Collections, second floor of the Glenn Bartle Library. Learn more about Linsday's time as a Monuments Man on the Special Collections Blog.
Related Link of Interest