THE LINK FOUNDATION is a tax exempt, not-for-profit organization established in 1953 by Edwin A. (1904-1981) and Marion C. (1907-1995) Link. Grants totaling more than $14 million have been awarded to universities, colleges and other non-profit organizations.
Mr. Link was best known for his invention of the first successful flight simulator in 1929. Prior to his death in 1981, he had accumulated more than 27 patents for aeronautics, navigation and oceanographic equipment. Simulators today are used widely for aircraft, spacecraft, ship, surface vehicle and medical training.
As Mr. Link had devoted a major portion of his life to the furthering of aeronautics, The Link Foundation awarded many of its early grants to advance training and education in aeronautics. Aviation medicine fellowships, flight safety seminars and the development of aviation publications for teachers were among the projects supported.
In 1963, the first Link Foundation grant for an ocean engineering fellowship was awarded to the University of Rhode Island. Other oceanographic research grants and fellowships were supported in the 1960s. Through its support to Florida Atlantic University for the first undergraduate ocean engineering program in 1965, the Link Foundation was recognized as one of the University Founders.
In 1973, the Link Foundation established the Albert D. Stover/E. Clayton Link Fund. Income from this fund has been used for scholarships and research programs for young pioneers interested in the further development of the oceans. Scholarships, internships and graduate student research at Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute at Florida Atlantic University have been supported since 1974.
A major program of fellowships in the area of energy research and conservation was established in 1983. The field of energy and its optimum usage had been Mr. Link’s last scientific thought and interest. In 1989, a graduate fellowship in simulation research was awarded to the University of Michigan. In 1990, an annual fellowship program in advanced simulation and training was established. In 1998, a fellowship program in ocean engineering and instrumentation was implemented.
Edwin A. and Marion C. Link
The Link Foundation
c/o Binghamton University Foundation
PO Box 6005
ATTN: Martha J. Gahring