Skip header content and main navigation Binghamton University, State University of New York - News
Binghamton University Newsroom
Binghamton University Newsroom


Jon Stewart’s comedy leaves crowd in stitches

By : Erin Owens

Despite a few jokes at the expense of Binghamton, Jon Stewart had people laughing from beginning to end during his performance March 27 in the Events Center.

“He was really funny,” senior Lauren Scott said. “I laughed the whole time.”

About 5,000 people watched the 70-minute show.

Stewart, born Jon Stuart Leibowitz, has been host of The Daily Show on Comedy Central since 1998, and is a writer and co-producer of the show. He has won 11 Primetime Emmys for his work on The Daily Show, and has hosted both the Grammy Awards and the Academy Awards.

Stewart is best known for his political satire, and he joked that “80 percent of the country are reasonable people who could get along, but the other 20 percent run it.”

“When Germany says, ‘I don’t want to do it,’” he said of the war in Iraq, “that’s when you know you shouldn’t be going to war.”

Stewart, 46, also discussed the recent historic election of the first black president. Addressing the question of whether or not America is ready for a black president, he said, “It depends on the black guy. Gary Coleman, no. But Barack Obama, yes.”    

He also touched on issues such as gay marriage and religion, but much of his stand-up performance was not about politics.

“He was a lot less political than I thought he would be,” Scott said. “He seems really smart and open-minded.”

Stewart congratulated the men’s basketball team on making it to the NCAA Tournament. But he also joked about the set throughout his performance, asking “Who are you holding the good sheet for?” An audience member responded “(Stephen) Colbert!” referring to the popular host of The Colbert Report, which follows The Daily Show on Comedy Central.

Stewart shared stories about his two children, describing raising them as “a chance to ruin someone from scratch.”

He also discussed people’s fascination with computers, calling the Internet “the scam of the century.” Recalling Y2K, he asked, “What were we afraid of: That the computers will fail and the world will be forced to live like we did in 1983?”

Overall, Stewart seemed to enjoy himself, saying it was a “cool crowd” and a “nice time.”  And the audience certainly seemed to enjoy Stewart, giving him a standing ovation at the end of his performance.

“I was really excited to get the chance to finally see him,” freshman Ryan Meitzler said.  “I loved it.”

Connect with Binghamton:
Twitter icon links to Binghamton University's Twitter page YouTube icon links to Binghamton University's YouTube page Facebook icon links to Binghamton University's Facebook page Instagram

Last Updated: 10/14/08