About the Program
What is a Dual-Diploma Program?
A dual-diploma program is an undergraduate program in which students spend half of their education at a campus of the State University of New York (SUNY) and half at a Turkish university. The program received the 2007 Heiskell Award for International Exchange Partnerships by the Institute of International Education, one of the world’s leading international education organizations which administers such programs as Fulbright and the Humphrey Fellowships. Please click here for more information about this prestigious award.
Study in two countries: The dual-diploma program offers students a highly unique experience and prepares them for the increasingly global world. Students study in two different countries and upon completion of the degree, receive a diploma from each partner: a distinguished American university and a distinguished Turkish university.
English proficiency: Students develop excellent language skills as they study in English at a university in Turkey and as they live and study on a campus in the United States.
Bi-cultural experience: The programs allow students to experience two distinctively different cultures. Upon completing the degree, students are well-prepared to work in a multi-cultural environment and to function effectively in an international arena.
High academic quality: Most important, the programs are academically rigorous, as students must meet the academic requirements of both the Turkish university and the SUNY campus to complete the degree and to receive either diploma. All programs are approved and recognized by the Higher Education Council of Turkey (YÖK).
- 2000 Partnerships initiated - dual-diploma programs under development.
- 2004/05 Academic Year Programs begin with an enrollment of 28 students.
- 2005/06 Academic Year Enrollment more than triples to 98 students.
- 2007/08 Academic Year Number of enrolled students grows to 126.
Pattern of Study
Each program is designed to fit the needs of the specific academic field, so there are various patterns of study. Typically, students spend years 1 and 3 at the Turkish institution and years 2 and 4 at Binghamton University. Students completing programs with year 4 in the United States may be eligible for optional practical training (OPT) for up to 12 months. Students requiring English preparation upon admission spend one year studying intensive English in a Turkish university before beginning the regular coursework.
Binghamton University currently has partnerships with four prestigious Turkish universities. Please click the links below to learn more information about each partnership:
- Bilkent University – http://ir.bilkent.edu.tr/?page_id=1141 and http://catalog.bilkent.edu.tr/current/dep/d33.html
- Istanbul Technical University (ITU) – http://www.uolp.itu.edu.tr/
- Middle East Technical University (METU) – http://www.suny.metu.edu.tr/
- SUNY Dual-Diploma Programs - http://www.suny.edu.tr/page2-general/uluslararasi-ortak-lisans-programi-nedir.php