Application Process

The application process is quite simple.

  • Be sure you meet the program eligibility requirements. Most programs have GPA requirements and, where English is not the official language, many have language requirements. Some programs may require you to have junior or senior standing at the time of participation.
  • Complete a study-abroad application packet, which asks for biographical information, a study statement, letters of academic reference and transcripts from all colleges or universities where you have studied.
  • You should obtain your application directly from the sponsor campus international programs website. Applications are submitted directly to the SUNY campus offering the program. 
  • Deadlines for submission are during the middle part of the semester before you wish to go. Most spring programs have application deadlines between October 1 and November 1, while most fall, academic-year and summer programs have application deadline between March 1 and April 15. Actual dates vary by program.
  • Refer to our TIPS FOR SUCCESSFUL STUDY ABROAD APPLICATIONS for more information!
  • If you are applying to a Non-Binghamton program, BE SURE TO STOP BY OUR OFFICE TO LET US KNOW YOU ARE APPLYING FOR STUDY ABROAD.  You will need to fill out a short form with our office so we can get you in our system. Download the Form Here, complete it and just drop it off!

If you have questions, contact our office by phone, e-mail or on Facebook (fan page: Binghamton University Study Abroad). Check out our advising and events information, stop by our office any time, come to walk-in advising hours or set up an appointment with an advisor.

Binghamton Program APPLICATIONS

You can download each application for Binghamton Programs on the "How to Apply" page of the program. Some applications are unique, so please be sure that you are using the correct, updated application for the program that you are interested in applying for. 

Tips for Successful Study Abroad Applications

Completed Application Form: Reviewers look for professional applications. This means that your applications should be neat and should be typed or printed clearly.

Study Statement:The study statement is designed to give reviewers of your application a sense of your level of commitment to and knowledge of the study abroad program to which you are applying. Essays that have been favorably reviewed demonstrate that the student has a thorough understanding of the study abroad program and environment and has reflected deeply on the personal and intellectual journey they hope to undertake while abroad.

  • You should be as specific as possible in your study statement. What, in particular, attracted you to the program? What particular courses do you hope to take while abroad and why? How do they relate to the courses you have already taken at Binghamton? How do you imagine the experiences in the program will relate to your academic, professional and personal goals? In what ways do you anticipate growing, both academically and personally, from your experiences in that program?
  • Remember, when you interview for a job, you would not say that you should be hired simply because you need a job. Rather, you prepare by researching the company to learn as much as you can about it to sell yourself as the perfect candidate for the position at that company. Approach the study statement in the same way. Research the program and use that information in your essay. Review the brochure for the program and visit the web site of the school abroad.
  • Your essay must be typed or word-processed.

Who should sign your study statement?: The signature on the study statement is to signify that your proposed program of study -- which you should have discussed in the study statement -- has been reviewed and approved by an academic advisor within your school (CCPA, Education, Harpur, SOM, SON, Watson).

Foreign Language Proficiency Form: You would need to fill out this form ONLY if you are applying to a program conducted in a FOREIGN language.  You do NOT need to fill out this form if you are applying to a program in which the primary language for the course of instruction will be ENGLISH, and you often do not need this form if you are applying to a program conducted in a foreign language but with no language requirement.  For programs of this type, we recommend checking with the sponsor campus to verify whether the form is needed. If the Foreign Language Proficiency Form does not apply to your program, write “not applicable” on the form.

Confidential Reference forms: Most applications require two academic letters of references.

  • Academic references should be from professors with whom you have had contact or in whose class you excelled or graduate student instructors who graded your work and in whose class you excelled.
  • Once you have identified possible references, be sure to ask them several weeks in advance of your deadline to allow them plenty of time to complete the reference.
  • You should provide your recommenders with the following information either through a conversation with him or her or in a written statement: the title of the program to which you are applying; a brief description of that particular program, your academic and personal interests in the program, and what you hope to accomplish while abroad; and the date the letter is due. This information is important to the recommender because it will help him or her to write a highly personal reference that outlines why the recommender feels you would be a good candidate for the specific program abroad for which you are applying.
  • Applications for study abroad programs typically include reference forms that ask the reference to provide information about you as well as to write a letter on your behalf. There is usually some part of these forms you will need to fill out before passing the form to your reference.
  • Ask that the letters be on letterhead if possible.
  • As a courtesy, you should provide your recommenders with an addressed envelope, stamped if necessary. Letters should be addressed to the Office of International Programs at the campus administering the program. You can obtain a list of these addresses from Binghamton’s Office of International Programs. Alternatively, your references can return the form and letter to you in a sealed envelope with their signature over the seal and you can hand them in or mail them in with your other application materials.

Transcripts: Be sure to request official copies of transcripts of all university work. You should submit requests for transcripts to your university registrar several weeks in advance of your deadline, as they need time to process your request.  Unless a program announces another administrative address, transcripts should be sent to the international programs office at the campus administering the program. For Binghamton transcripts, you will need to order a transcript on BU Brain.  Be sure to manually enter in the full address as none of the Offices of International Programs (not even Binghamton's own OIP!) appear on the dropdown menu.

Permission to Release Information: This form is required for programs sponsored by Binghamton University.  Other-SUNY programs may have similar requirements.  Read the form carefully, fill in the necessary information and sign where indicated.

Judicial Review: Binghamton University requires a judicial review of all applicants for Binghamton-sponsored study abroad programs.  This review is automatically processed for Binghamton University students.  Other-SUNY and non-SUNY students applying to Binghamton programs must complete the Judicial Review form included with Binghamton program applications.  Other-SUNY programs may have similar requirements and procedures for a judicial check.

Notification of Home Campus:
 Once you have applied, be sure to let the Office of International Programs on your home campus know that you are applying for study abroad.  Binghamton students will need to come to our office to fill out a short form with our office so we can get you in our system.

Last Updated: 6/18/15