Nuclear Instruction Specialist and Radiation Safety Officer
- Supercooling and freezing dirty water (Youtube video | Powerpoint presentation)
- When Does hot water freeze faster then cold water? A search for Mpemba Effect published in American Journal of Physics -- January 2011 -- Volume 79, Issue 1, pp. 78 ranks 4th in the list of the most downloaded research article.
- Mpemba Effect (updated March 9, 2010)
- Demonstration of Electrons Focused and Accelerated by a Pyroelectric Crystal. You observe FIRST Gas Induced Discharge Now! Watch the Video.
- R&D 100 Magazine's Award for Pyroelectric X-Ray Generator- COOL-X.
- Presentation made at the Conference on the Physics, Chemistry and Biology of Water in Bulgaria, October 2013 (.pdf, 7.16MB)
Areas of Research:
- Pyroelectric crystal focused electron beams
- X-ray production by pyroelectric crystals
- Radiation production and detection
- Electron and ion acceleration by pyroelectric crystals
- Development of miniature portable pyroelectric crystal x-ray generators
- Profiling elements in tree leaves
- Environmental monitoring of radioactive nuclides
Stephen M. Shafroth
Professor of Physics Emeritus
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3255
Links to Similar Work:
Jim Brownridge on Mpemba Effect (pdf, 253kb)