There are several special programs available to pre-health students within Harpur College. Some of these are internal to Binghamton University, while others involve an articulation agreement with another university. Most require that you be a sophomore or junior to participate; one admits second semester freshman.
- Binghamton University — SUNY Upstate Medical University Early Assurance Program
Binghamton University — SUNY Buffalo School of Dental Medicine Early Assurance Program
Binghamton University — SUNY Optometry Joint Degree Program (this is the exception mentioned above)
Additional information about the programs listed above can be obtained from the Freshman-Sophomore Handbook. Students interested in any of the three Early Assurance Programs should also read the instructional material contained in another section of this web page: Information for Applicants. Once you have read this information, you should pursue any questions you have with Linda Igo, the Pre-Health Secretary (email@example.com) or with Dr. W. Thomas Langhorne, the Pre-Health Advisor for sophomores, juniors and seniors (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Harpur College Binghamton Area Physician Mentor Program: Pre-Med rising juniors are eligible to apply. Applications are due to Dr. W. Thomas Langhorne in Old Champlain Room G51 by June 15th. The program description and application can be found here.
- Harpur College Summer Physician Mentor Program: Current Binghamton University pre-medicine sophomores and juniors are eligible to apply.
- Click here for more information about the Harpur College Summer Physician Mentor Program and for the 2016 Application Check-List.
- Students must submit the following application material for the 2016 Harpur College Summer Physician Mentor Program before 4pm, Friday, February 19, 2016:
1. Online application
2. One page résumé: email your one page résumé as a PDF to Rachael Perry (email@example.com). The subject line should say "Resume for Harpur College Summer Physician Mentor Program", the body of your email should state your full name and B# and your resume should be attached as a PDF.
Students are encouraged to visit the Fleishman Center for Career and Professional Development website for tips and guidelines for submitting a professional résumé: http://www.binghamton.edu/ccpd/students/undergraduate/resumes-cover-letters-interviews/writing-your-resume.html.
3. Submit two letters of recommendation to Harpur Academic Advising, c/o Rachael Perry, Freshman and Sophomore Pre-Health Advisor. Click here to download the required Reference Forms. At least one of your references must be from a Binghamton University faculty member. The second reference may be from an academic advisor, a professor, a lecturer or a supervisor. Letters of recommendation from relatives, undergraduate and graduate students are not acceptable. Your two letters of recommendations must be submitted to Harpur Academic Advising c/o Rachael Perry. Freshman and Sophomore Pre-Health Advisor in Old Champlain, first floor.
4. All material must be received by 4pm, Friday, February 19, 2016.
- Read what current physician mentors and past student participants have to say about the program: http://binghamton.edu/harpur/perspective/alumni/md-mentors.html!
- Please contact Michelle Jones or Rachael Perry if you have any questions about the Harpur College Summer Physician Mentor Program.