There are several special programs available to pre-health students within Harpur College. Some of these are internal to Binghamton University, while others involve an articulation agreement with another university. Most require that you be a sophomore or junior to participate; one admits second semester freshman.
- Binghamton University — SUNY Upstate Medical University Early Assurance Program
Binghamton University — SUNY Buffalo School of Medicine Early Assurance Program
Binghamton University — SUNY Buffalo School of Dental Medicine Early Assurance Program
Binghamton University — SUNY Optometry Joint Degree Program (this is the exception mentioned above)
Additional information about the programs listed above can be obtained from the Freshman-Sophomore Handbook. Students interested in any of the three Early Assurance Programs should also read the instructional material contained in another section of this web page: Information for Applicants. Once you have read this information, you should pursue any questions you have with Lynne Datto, the Pre-Health Secretary (firstname.lastname@example.org) or with Dr. W. Thomas Langhorne, the Pre-Health Advisor for sophomores, juniors and seniors (email@example.com).
- Harpur College Binghamton Area Physician Mentor Program: Pre-Med sophomores and juniors
are eligible to apply. Applications are due to Dr. W. Thomas Langhorne in Academic B G-18 by June 15th. Click here for the Application.
- Harpur College Summer Physician Mentor Program: Pre-Med sophomores and juniors are eligible to apply.
- Information about the 2014 Harpur College Summer Physician Mentor Program and the application check-list: Harpur College Summer Physician Mentor Program.
- Application Material:
- Part 1: Online Application: Closed for 2014. Check back in December for the 2015 application and application deadline.
- Part 2: One page resume and two letters of recommendation are due to Harpur Academic Advising Academic c/o Michelle Jones in Academic B G-18. Check back in December for the 2015 deadline.
- a. One page résumé: Students are encouraged to visit the Career Development Center's resume website for tips and guidelines for submitting a professional résumé: http://www2.binghamton.edu/career-development-center/students/undergraduate/resumes-cover-letters-interviews/writing-your-resume.html.
- b. Two (2) Letters of Recommendation. Click here to download the required Reference Forms: Letters of Recommendation. At least one of your references must be from a faculty member at Binghamton University. The second reference may be from an academic advisor, a professor, a lecturer or a supervisor. Letters of recommendation from relatives, undergraduate and graduate students are not acceptable.
- Please note: Part 1 must be submitted online and Part 2 must be submitted to Harpur Academic Advising c/o Michelle Jones in Academic B G-18.
- Read what current physician mentors and past student participants have to say about the program: http://binghamton.edu/harpur/perspective/alumni/md-mentors.html!