Creative Activities and Research: Team Vision
Binghamton University aspires to be an internationally renowned, public institution where remarkable research, scholarship and creative activities are leading priorities and fully integrated into the educational experience. Through strategic investment in our liberal arts heritage and unparalleled support for new scholarly endeavors, Binghamton University inspires creativity in the generation of new knowledge by promoting interdisciplinary synergies and an entrepreneurial spirit among its faculty, staff and students. In doing so, we join forces with local, national and international partners to enable graduates to become responsible citizens and future leaders with global vision.
The Creative Activities and Research Team has developed the following themes based on our vision: identify and address grand challenges facing society over the next 20 years by bringing together the sciences, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM), social sciences, arts and humanities, education, management and nursing to promote radical openness and unconventional interdisciplinary research collaborations; create an environment that fosters a culture of uncompromising excellence in creative activities and research for faculty, staff and students; enhance our regional and global creative activities and research presence, and successfully execute Binghamton's five year tactical plans (such as the Binghamton University/SUNY 2020 Plan, and the University's Facilities Master plan) ensuring that path-breaking research, scholarship and creative activities are leading priorities.
The Creative Activities and Research Team has developed initiatives, innovations and ideas around the following specific goals:
- Address grand challenges facing society over the next 20 years by: identifying trends that will have a profound impact on community and society as a whole; serving as a catalyst for a healthier New York and a healthier society (e.g., Healthcare Initiative); addressing the sustainability of natural resources locally and globally (e.g., NY/SUNY 2020); emphasizing the importance of social gains and relevance to our community/society while at the same time fueling the basic research engine.
- Become an international leader in STEM research by: identifying present or potential areas of scholarly excellence; engaging students in premier creative activities and research as part of the educational process; supporting basic research as building blocks of future translational (or transformative) research; establishing core facilities and shared resources to maximize collaboration and technical innovation; and showing adaptability in meeting upcoming challenges.
- Ensure that arts and humanities play an essential role in creative activities and research by: Promoting radical openness and unconventional interdisciplinary collaboration; increasing BU's visibility in the arts; developing an approach to creativity that combines practices and appreciation; and incentivizing creative activities as well as research in ways that other universities seek to emulate.
- Enhance regional and global presence by: developing partnerships that are regional, national and global in scope; reducing barriers for collaboration with entities beyond BU; engaging the digital revolution to extend impact and better serve public mission, especially in disciplines where scholarship is becoming more digital; focusing on impact to help transform professional disciplines into entrepreneurial engines.
- Create an environment that fosters a culture of excellence for faculty, staff and students by: recruiting and retaining the best faculty, staff and students in their respective disciplines; by promoting and supporting interdisciplinary hires; encouraging faculty to engage in scholarship, research and creative activities across the duration of their careers; identifying and reducing barriers to collaboration and innovation; fostering the highest academic and professional ethical conduct; creating real-time access to data and supportive infrastructure; creating a positive environment that encourages social and professional interaction.