Undergraduate Research Center established
The Undergraduate Research Center (URC) was established in the spring, bringing to fruition a recommendation made by the Task Force for Undergraduate Education for the Digital Generation.
In addition to establishing the URC, a number of awards were inaugurated to support both undergraduates and their faculty mentors in pursuit of research and scholarly activities. The following are recipients of the first round of awards:
Summer Scholars and Artists Program Fellowship Recipients (two awarded)
- Phillip Emeritz, a Harpur College junior majoring in history, English and classical civilization. His research interest is “Romanization through Currency” and his faculty mentor is Associate Professor Andrew Scholtz.
- Nora Holt, a Harpur College junior majoring in chemistry and geological sciences. Her research interest is “Seawater Chemistry of the Carboniferous” and her research mentor is Professor Tim Lowenstein.
2012 Provost’s Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Research (two awarded)
- Emily Elliott, a Harpur College ’12 graduate with a major in history. Her research interest is “Space race of the 1960s” and her research mentor is Associate Professor Heather DeHaan.
- Gene Nolis, a Harpur College ’12 graduate with a major in chemistry. His research interest is “Energy-related research” and his research mentor is Distinguished Professor M. Stanley Whittingham.
Provost’s Award for Faculty Excellence in Undergraduate Research Mentoring
- Anna Tan Wilson, distinguished teaching professor of biological sciences