Research Advancement hosts conference
The Office of Research Advancement played host to a national conference in May and took home top honors from two spring competitions.
Members of the University Research Magazine Association gathered in Binghamton for a conference that featured a keynote by Pulitzer Prize-winning science writer Jonathan Weiner as well as talks by the director of news at MIT, the head of research communications at Imperial College London and the art director at Scientific American. Conference-goers met at the University Downtown Center and had an opportunity to visit unique places on campus, including the new anechoic chamber in the Engineering and Science Building, the Public Archaeology Facility and the biofilms laboratory.
Rachel Coker, director of research advancement, coordinated the conference with Martha Terry, creative services manager. The two also work on Binghamton Research and Discover-e, which received several regional and statewide awards this spring. Oren Levi, information services manager, provides technical support for Discover-e.
In the annual Awards for Excellence organized by the State University of New York Council for University Advancement, Research Advancement received:
• Best of Category honors for Binghamton Research for Effective, Efficient and Elegant Publications.
• Best of Category recognition for Research Writing for Coker’s article “Spring Awakening.”
• A Judge’s Citation in Visual Design in Print for Terry’s work on Binghamton Research.
• A Judge’s Citation for News/Media Relations Websites for Discover-e.
• A Judge’s Citation for Feature Writing for Coker’s article “A Piece of the Puzzle.”
In the annual Genesis contest organized by the Communications Association of the Southern Tier, Research Advancement received:
• Best in Show, Judge’s Choice and First Place in Feature Writing for Coker’s article “Blinded by Love.”
• First Place in Digital Newsletters for Discover-e.
• First Place in Print Periodicals for Binghamton Research.
• First Place in News Writing for Coker’s article “Spring Awakening.”
• Second Place in Self-Promotion for Binghamton Research.
• Second Place in Websites for Discover-e.
• Second Place in News Writing for Coker’s article “Digital Defenders.”
• Second Place in Feature Writing for Coker’s article “A Piece of the Puzzle.”