VP search begins for restructured Division of Operations
President Harvey Stenger announced on May 30 that a search has begun to replace Vice President for Administration James Van Voorst, who is leaving for a position at the University at Albany, but for a vice president of operations, as he restructures the Division of Administration into a slightly smaller Division of Operations. The renamed division will include oversight of human resources, physical facilities, information technology services, and police and public safety. Planning, budgeting and financial functions will move to the Division of Academic Affairs.
“This reorganization will put our academic mission at the forefront of our University as we move ahead with our Road Map strategic plan, increase student enrollment and hire additional faculty and staff,” said Stenger. “By bringing budgeting and academic planning together, we will assure that we make the investments that will allow us to achieve our strategic priorities and promote academic excellence.”
The search will focus attention on internal candidates, with the expectation that the position can be filled with a current University employee by the end of the summer.
Executive Vice President and Provost Donald Nieman will chair the search for the vice president of operations. The committee will include:
- Mary Beth Curtain, assistant vice president for strategic research initiatives
- Shelley Dionne, associate professor of management
- Timothy Faughnan, chief of police
- Fernando Guzmán, professor of mathematical sciences
- Valerie Hampton, chief diversity officer
- Wayne Jones, professor of chemistry
- Sarah Lam, associate professor of systems science and industrial engineering and associate dean of the Graduate School
- Brian Rose, vice president for student affairs
- Thomas Sinclair, associate professor of public administration
Nominations for the position of vice president of operations should be directed to Provost Nieman.