The Division of Research supports Binghamton University's success as a premier public, nationally recognized institution and leader in transformational research that benefits society.
We promote and support excellence in research and scholarly activities of the Binghamton University community, and we foster an environment of consciousness and responsibility that encourages innovation and entrepreneurship.
We embrace the core values of the University: excellence, respect for the individual, integrity, diversity and accountability. We provide high-quality service and foster a collegial environment.
1. Increase research, scholarship and creative activities profile to that of a premier public university and become a nationally recognized university for outstanding doctoral education.
- Enable the University to reach $50 million in annual research expenditures by 2020
- Support sponsored programs
- Support Transdisciplinary Areas of Excellence (TAE) teams
- Secure resources for faculty start-up
- Assure research compliance and encourage responsible conduct of research
- Execute the research aspects of NY2020
- Promote technology transfer and entrepreneurship
- Support Organized Research Centers and Institutes for Advanced Study
- Participate in SUNY-based research initiatives
- Produce electronic and print media focused on research news
- Strive for placement in external media
- Support outreach to the campus and community through Innovation Day, Research Days, Binghamton University Day at the Mall and other programming
- Participate in campus research space planning initiatives, including Science V animal facilities study and School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Promote development of centralized research core facilities, including seeking funding for such facilities and publicizing availability of facilities
2. Increase the campus' transformational impact on society and on the economy through research, scholarship, creative activities and innovation.
- Enable the University to reach $1.5 million in annual incubation and royalty revenue by 2020
- Ensure that at least 11 companies participate in University business incubation programs by 2020
- Support the entrepreneurial ecosystem for students, faculty and community through programs such as Start-Up NY
- Lead the development of the Southern Tier High-Technology Incubator in Binghamton in coordination with community, state and federal partners
- Support the Small Business Development Center (SBDC) and the Trade Adjustment Assistance Center (TAAC)
3. Support and promote a culture that values and respects diversity and inclusion.
- Enhance outreach and recruitment efforts to historically underrepresented populations
- Provide diversity training programs to divisional leaders and managers that enable them to cultivate a diverse, inclusive, equitable and productive work environment
4. Advocate for campus needs with regional, state and national representatives.
- Coordinate meetings and conferences with regional, state and federal representatives
- Coordinate SUNY Day in Washington, D.C.
- Provide oversight of the Regional Economic Development Council
- Manage an increase in registered MWBE companies in the Southern Tier
- Maintain responsibility for university ethics and reporting of all advocacy and lobbying