History of Hinman College
We would like to welcome you to Hinman College! Hinman College was opened in 1967. It was named after New York State Senator Harvey D. Hinman, one of the local community leaders who in 1949 helped re-establish Harpur College as the State University of New York at Binghamton. The buildings in Hinman College are named after New York State governors (Teddy Roosevelt, Herbert Lehman, Alfred Smith, Charles Hughes, and Grover Cleveland). Hinman's Nelson A. Rockefeller Collegiate Center is also named after a NY governor.
Hinman College graduates follow in the footsteps of these giants, moving forward to
be impactful and influential leaders. Hinman is by far one of the most active areas
(but then again, we're biased), and has a tradition of producing great student leaders.
Hinman History Project
Brent Gotsch (class of 2007) has written a comprehensive history of Hinman, with the title Hinman College: The First 40 Years. This on-line history if PDF format has a selectable Table of Contents, and the volume can be searched using the "find" function within Adobe Reader.
Binghamton's residential colleges, each with its own Faculty Master, are adaptations
of models which go back to the founding of Oxford and Cambridge Universities in medieval
England. Like the historic colleges of Oxford and Cambridge, Binghamton's residential
communities provide an environment that supports living-learning goals, and create
a small-college environment within a big university.
Hinman's Faculty Master and Faculty Fellows have a strong commitment to interacting with students both inside and outside the classroom. The Faculty Master works with the staff to create activities and experiences that make connections between students' learning and living experiences.
Hinman Faculty Master: Al Vos, Associate Professor of English
Read about the former Faculty Masters